Michael
Michael, Employment Services
Experience:  Employment Services Professional
70951075

What is the best way to find a job new admittee attorney

Customer Question

Customer: What is the best way to find a job for a new admittee attorney with no past legal experience except for law school?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hello. I have recently passed the Bar and got my license. However, I have held a non legal job for the past 10 years and have no legal experience. Everyone wants to hire people with experience, at 2 years or more. But what if there is no such experience, what to do?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Job Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Job
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.

Congratulations first on passing the Bar and receiving your license to practice law. All this hard work will pay off over time as right now the job market is still in recovery mode in many industries which includes the legal field.

In terms of ways to gain experience to get on your resume as well as ideas to find employment, some suggestions:

1. Send your resume to volunteer to work for an experienced attorney in your area. Let the attorney know you want to gain experience in much of the work done in the office, from filing motions to legal research to going to court to file documents. See if the attorney will assist in paying various costs involved such as transportation to court so that you are receiving some income while gaining experience for your resume.

2. Volunteer work for pro-bono work. For a few years I worked along side the legal center for the local courthouse and there were a few right out of school attorneys who passed the bar and were looking for work. They went ahead to volunteer in the legal center to gain experience while looking for employment.

3. Networking is very important so join groups in the legal field in your area to meet other attorneys and what can turn out to possible employment. Chamber of Commerce meetings in your area to other business networking dinners can give you chances to meet people in your area and possible work for firms within where you live. Also check social media sites such as Linkedin, facebook etc for networking with other attorneys just passing the bar for ideas.

After gaining some experience, look for entry level jobs on some of the various sites online:

http://www.indeed.com/q-Entry-Level-Attorney-jobs.html

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/entry-level-attorney-jobs