LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced law for more than a quarter of a century.
15277592

If someone had a positive drug test 25 years ago would it

Customer Question

If someone had a positive drug test 25 years ago would it show up on a employment verification request from a new employer
Category: Job
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Drug test results are deemed confidential medical records and may not be released by your former employer to a prospective employer that you might have years later. That would be a criminal violation of the law.

So no, the fact that you tested positive for drugs with an employer 25 years ago, would not show up in an employment verification requested by your prospective employer today. In fact, few businesses even look farther back than about 10 years when seeking employment history unless you happen to be going to work for a government agency.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug