Michael
Michael, Employment Services
Experience:  Employment Services Professional
70951075

I have been working in retail past 12 years. I recently left

Customer Question

I have been working in retail for the past 12 years. I recently left what I thought would be a decent full time supervisory job because of an uncomfortable work environment and some physical problems. I searched for 2 years to find that job and it lasted 3 months. I have been looking through local job postings and have discovered that there is nothing I am qualified for outside of low paying retail jobs which are not really jobs at all of course. For over 2 years I applied for office or administrative jobs without ever receiving a single response. I am not able to go back to school. Yesterday I spoke to a job counselor who agreed to look over my resume but when I expressed a desire to search for a remote or telecommuting job could only advise appointment setting or customer service given my background. It is very frustrating knowing I have worked jobs that have placed me in a corner, so to speak, and I do not know how to get out of it. Would like some advice
Category: Job
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

It is obvious that you are a hard working employee which any company would be happy to have in their work environment. Difficult I am sure when having to leave a bad work environment as it sounds like none of this was any of your fault.

Glad to hear that you have talked to a job counselor who can help in working with your resume and create one that will stand out when sending it in to a potential employer. Some suggestions I can offer to you at this time to help locate future employment that can make you happy and offer growth as well.

1. Start by working with a temporary employment agency as they can help with resume writing, building upon job skills, as well as placing you in positions that are temporary at first but can grow into full-time. Look at agencies in your area as well as some of the bigger firms such as AppleOne and Kelly.

2. There are legitimate home based jobs that would allow you to work in the comfort of your home as the physical problems you experience would deter from working in a office based environment. I have received this question often from other customers who ask about legitimate home based jobs as I have given out info from consumer advocate Clark Howard who can be found on CNN:

http://www.clarkhoward.com/work-home-guide

3. While going back to school may not be something you would want to consider, possibly taking though a class via your local community college and/or adult school that can offer some updating on your skills so that you can place these learned features on your resume.

4. Check also with a book that I highly recommend that can help guide you in future career decisions. It is called "What Color is Your Parachute" and has been the standard for career choices for decades. You can find the latest copy at your local public library.

Stay positive in your search as I believe with some of these tips I have offered above can help guide you to a new and positive outcome for a new job.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. However, I would like to add the following information to my original question: I am near retirement age and am not looking for a career but a job that will pay more than minimum wage and offer more than 10 hours a week. "Retail" implies unskilled labor which has added to my difficulties in finding other work so I'm not sure what I could offer to a temp agency even if there were any in my area. I checked out the so-called work at home opportunities.Some are virtual call centers which charge you for a background check and a dedicated phone line the latter which I'm sure the company does not pay for. Others offer a few dollars for answering surveys or writing product reviews--these are not real jobs. OnlineVerdict.com's security certificate has expired and the site is not accessible. Earning "Google Play credits"? These jobs are aimed at allowing you to supplement an existing income. At the moment, I don't have a existing income. If you have information about real work from home opportunities that offer a real income, please pass them on.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the updated information about your question finding employment. The two agencies I have listed are national in scope and talking to their staff to sit down and go over your experience and what you can bring to a company looking for someone with your experience. Agencies such as these work with many types of industries and offer more than the 10 hours you have stated as well as pay that can offer more than minimum wage. I have worked with people that have been laid off from full-time work and have used the experience of these agencies to find full-time work.

As for other home based opportunities to look at besides the ones listed earlier:

1. Data entry work listed here:

http://workathomemoms.about.com/od/dataentrytranscription/tp/dataentryjobs.htm

2. Real income as well as insurance and 401K:

http://careers.convergys.com/home-agent.php

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Kiplinger reports offers some of their researched career choices that can be done at home while bringing in a good income. These job titles are offered by many employers as you would then have to just search on job sites such as Indeed and Simply Hired and enter the job title and work from home. You should then find many listings from qualified companies:

http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/business/T012-S001-great-work-from-home-jobs/index.html