Michael
Michael, Employment Services
Experience:  Employment Services Professional
70951075

Concerned that previous job from high school will hurt my chances of getting hired i am t

Customer Question

concerned that previous job from high school will hurt my chances of getting hired
i am trying to look up my employment history and see what it says but I can't
i do not want jobs that were temporary to hinder me getting a great job, 2 jobs apparently was fired from one after three weeks for being late the other for not smiling ridiculous do not want to omit this but it says list all jobs for ten years i never listed 2 of them ever but never heard anything about it
Category: Job
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jobs one in 2007 and one in 2008 . I was probationary for this job and was told if they didn't like me or something i did wrong I could be let go before the 90 days. I came in late one day and was fired had documentation but they didn't care, also another job was fired for not smiling was told this violated policy. both jobs were held for less than a month.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Understand what you are concerned about as wanting to have a proper resume on hand in order to present to a potential employer for what I am sure would be an offer to be hired.Right away I would recommend not listing any of the temporary jobs you held for such a short amount of time. Companies looking to hire are not interested in jobs held for such a short period of time. And even if they conduct a background check that these short terms positions will not show up in a search. In terms of references, try finding those you worked with that can speak highly of how hard a worker you are. Leave out those from jobs that you were let go of as those you listed above are not necessary.I would then suggest that you create a resume that shows your strengths and what you can offer to a potential employer. If you do not have enough in terms of employment history, create what is called a "functional resume". This type of resume highlights your strengths and abilities to do the job you are interested in. You can then list at the bottom of the resume jobs you held but creating it this way emphasises what you are capable to do in a job. An example of a functional resume can be found here:http://career-advice.monster.com/resumes-cover-letters/resume-samples/sample-of-a-functional-resume/article.aspx
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
In terms of background check, the two suggestions I always offer are reviewing your previous tax returns as old W-2 slips will show your work history. The other item is contacting Social Security as for a fee can send you your work history on file:http://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-7050.pdfThis will show your earnings but also the years you worked in a particular job which would be helpful in creating a resume.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, i have a good resume thanks to a job coach but since this is a city agency and it has stated to not omit anything and it also asks have you ever been discharged from employment i am just concerned because I do not want to be disqualified for this.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I would then suggest sitting down with the job coach and explain how the jobs that you were let go and let he or she know that they were just a month or two long and that the reason why you were discharged from work. Being honest is the best way to show that they were not of terrible reasons why you were let go and have learned your lesson on being on-time. The smiling issue should not hold you back from any future employment and I am sure the job coach would agree. I still would feel that there is no need to have listed the jobs that were just a month or so old as employers are not interested in positions held for such a short amount of time.