Michael
Michael, Employment Services
Experience:  Employment Services Professional
70951075

I am asking on behalf of another. What is the best way to

Customer Question

I am asking on behalf of another. What is the best way to seek a career path for those who have an Associate's degree in IT? Though have issues with learning programming.
Category: Job
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
There are many career choices for someone with an Associates degree in IT and not comfortable with programming. Deciding on any of these careers would be from setting up their resume to then interviewing with various firms and then I am sure start work and grow within that company. While in that company, learning and growing from co-workers and finding things that they can add to their resume would help in the future for when they might want to branch out to other things.In terms of careers such as these, some to consider:http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/coding-isnt-everyone-7-tech-jobs-can-get-without/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks are there any specific careers to think about. How to get my feet wet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or that friends feet wet I mean?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
For your friend, look at specific career ideas such as:Graphic designer - create ads as well as web pages that do not require much in terms of knowing programming, code etc...Social Media Marketing - working within advertising for example to showcase products.App Specialists - making sure a particular app is working well for customers and dealing with customer service.Any of these positions can be started by working say as a intern for a start-up for example. Learning the ropes within a company is helpful and taking some credential courses will be useful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will look into that though I might ask more questions if you don't mind.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Not at all as I hope some of these suggestions might be something that your friend would like to look at further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to one get into app specialists and graphic designers jobs?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
To become an app specialist, start by pursuing a certificate in the specialty from an accredited college or technical school which should take less than a year. You can look for jobs that are listed in some of the major job websites such as Indeed and SimplyHired. The same would work for graphic design jobs as well. You may also wish to look at internships to get started in either of these fields.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics offers some great information on each career and what is needed. With just an Associates degree in IT and some certification, you should be able to find employment in either profession.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm
While the report here says that a Bachelors degree if often required, there is some work often that can be done with the Associates degree.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/graphic-designers.htm