Joan
Joan, Job Advocate
Experience:  Advising on Jobs as a Mentor

I would like to know what an elementary school teacher in central

I would like to know what an elementary school teacher in central Florida who holds a bachelors degree makes on average? Also, would like to know if they make money in the summer? Please explain if the annual salary is over 10 or 12 months. Please explain if you know from experience and not from what you can find on salary.com or etc. I have some knowledge from those sites, but would like to know from someone that has hands on experience whether it be from themselves or someone they may know. If this is not the correct category then please change. Thanks so much
Category: Job
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. Please let me know and I will assist further. Thank you!

Best,

Angela
Expert:  Michael replied 5 months ago.
As I am sure you know, teacher salaries are established by individual schools and school districts. While not knowing any teachers working in Florida, I thought that sending the most recent information breakdown from the Department of Education from the state might assist you in reviewing salary listings:

Under Teacher Salary Data 2011-12
http://www.fldoe.org/eias/eiaspubs/pubstaff.asp

I will go ahead and opted-out for other experts who may know a teacher working in Central Florida.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I Live in Florida and have friends that teach. Many of the salaries are based of years of teaching Experience. A teacher with 15 years or more could make the median pay of , $48,000 range. Most teachers do not make that and also have very high out of pocket expenses for classroom supplies. Teachers get paid for 12 months, but only work 10 months of the 12 months. The pay is broken down so they are not getting paid for the months they are off, but so they can have a paycheck to help them make it through the summer when they are not teaching. This is based on the Public school system. This is a link for Orlando which is the heart of Central Florida: http://www1.salary.com/FL/Orlando/Teacher-Elementary-School-salary.html

This information was also confirmed by friends that teach throughout the State including Daytona, Orlando and even South Florida. Please let me know if you need further assistance and I wll be happy to continue with you. Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thank you both for your input.

Can Joan please answer this follow up...Since you know someone that works in FL do you have an idea on the starting salary? Also, how much they need to work before and after school hours? Pretty much average total for the week in hours?

Also, example if they make 48k a year and work 10 months. Does that mean it averages out at 4k a month over 12 months or a little under 5k over 10 months? Do you know if you can spread it over 10 or 12 months? Thanks again for your help

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My God Daughter works in the school as well as many other friends of mine. The starting point is about $38,000, a year entry level, but most of the school boards offer partial payment of insurance plus other benefits. The time she gets to school is at 7am and leaves at 4pm, she does have to attend special events like parents night a couple of times a year. The net pay for most teachers entry level is about $3,100 a month. The way most schools do is spread the payments over a 12 month period. Private schools may do it a little differently, but the public schools that my friends work for do it the way this is explained. Those teachers that are vested and have been with teaching longer may start at a higher pay rate. If you work for a private school expect to spend time doing before care and after care at no extra pay. Teachers that do before care and aftercare in a public school usually get paid separately.

ESE and Esol teachers also start at a higher pay level because of the education involved to be able to work in those classes. Joan

Joan, Job Advocate
Experience: Advising on Jobs as a Mentor