Michael, Employment Services
Experience:  Employment Services Professional

Carrer question (Computer Science major)

I started my career as a computer science major and i completed about 60 credits. Then i was not able to continue. It has been 6 years now. I would like to continue my studies. Not sure if some of those credit have expired or not. Currently I am in NY and like to know which field of study in computers will help be get a job after I complete it. I wanted to get a job in NY. So, if you could please tell me which computer option should I pursue.

Also, I need to know the best colleges (both online and on campus) in NY.

Great to hear that you wish to continue your study in the IT field after a few years away.

While it is really up to you in terms of what field of study interests you , a helpful database is available that tracks what the various tech companies in NYC are looking for. You can then track what is trending the most in terms of job openings and then decide on studying for that particular career. Programming as well as web design are always in need. This database can be extremely helpful in seeing what jobs are trending and follow that field of study.

As for the top schools in computer science in NY:

1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. NYU
4. Rensselaer Poly
5 University of Rochester
6. SUNY system

As for online study, quite a number of these fine schools offer online study so best to inquire on the program
that fits your schedule and price range.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my 60 credits so far. Will they still be valid or did they expire?Could you also please recommend some of the online schools.

If i were to go the certification route, get an entry level job and then continue my degree. Do you think that will be a wise decision.

The certifications I have in mind is A+ and network+. I don't know if that is enough to get the foot in the door. I am getting a lot of conflicting information online. If you could please guide me, I would really appreciate it.

As for the credits, you would have to check with the school that you wish to attend to see if they will accept them. Not sure of the time frame for how long they stay valid so best bet is to check with the school you wish to attend.

Both the certification route and study of programming languages such as A+ is a great way to get your foot in the door in terms of IT work. Also being employed by a company may often pay for your continuing education so agree with you on that career path. Look for employers in the NYC area that pay for continuing education
(Many do). I would also recommend looking at the job database I sent above as you can see what tech jobs are in need and then have a better feel on where you can find a good career choice right away.

As for continuing education which many offer online as well:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A+ is not a programming language. It is hardware related certification.