Michael
Michael, Employment Services
Experience:  Employment Services Professional
70951075

Im currently job hunting but Ive been unemployed for four

I'm currently job hunting but I've been unemployed for four years and I'm changing careers. I have a few questions. 1) How should I set up my resume and answer the interview questions about being out of work for four years? 2) When a job ad requests all prospective employees to send their resumes and a cover letter stating salary requirements, how do I respond to the salary requirement? I don't understand the point of asking for salary requirements if they've already determined the salary range they're willing to pay for the position.
While the economy is improving, it is still in recovery mode but looking for work after a long time away is actually better as companies are again trying to hire.

As for setting up your resume, completely agree with you that taking out the objective field is correct and there is no need to include that.

As for setting up your resume, the most common way to structure your resume is to list your work experience in reversed chronological order, starting with your most recent job. Since you have been out of work for a few years now, a functional resume would be a good idea. With a functional resume you would name all of your skills you have acquired at the top of the resume and then list your work experience toward the bottom. The gaps in your work history can be addressed in the cover letter.

As for the cover letter as well as any interview you attend, be upfront and let the interviewer know what you have done while being out of work. This can include attending networking events, trade shows and even a continuing education class in the new field you are interested in. Emphasize the skills you obtained and can use in this new field.

As for the question on salary requirement, the best bet is to list on any job application form is that you are open to negotiation. It is true that the employer already has a budget in mind for the position but listing "negotiable" gives you and the employer some negotiation on what a reasonable salary is.

Visit the Bureau of Labor Relations site for what salary listings are for any particular field you are interested in. This way, you will have done your research and will go into the interview with what salary is reasonable.

www. bls.gov

Think positive and remember that locating that new job is as much work as actually working in one.

Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got your email, and yes, I had already given you a rating as soon as I read your answer. This is the third time I've used an expert and rated them but still got an email asking me if I rated them, which I always do. Please check with the site to see if there's a problem on their end as to why you guys aren't receiving your ratings or your tips.

So sorry this is happening. Understand they are working on fixing some bugs so I hope the emails stop soon.

Thank you for the rating and please contact me with any additional questions you may have in the future.

Have a great weekend!

Librarian Michael