Michael, Employment Services
Experience:  Employment Services Professional

How do i deal with a potentially bad reference from a position

Customer Question

How do i deal with a potentially bad reference from a position I only held 6mos. I am consulting a lawyer about a cease and desist letter. The job wasn't a good fit. the supervisor and i could not see eye to eye. Ive an excellent resume over 15 years of experience in my field then there's this job.
Category: Job
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like from what you have said that the position was not intended to be short-term but ended up that way because you were fired or left after not getting along with the supervisor.

In this situation, you’re generally better off leaving it off your resume. A resume is a marketing document that is intended to present you, your skills, and your experience over a period of time.
Only six months on a job won’t be useful in showing any real accomplishments or advancement, and including it can actually do harm, raising questions about why you left so soon. Often a hiring manager may wonder why you are listing a six month position and may bring up questions that I am sure do not wish to bring up, such as the supervisor you had a difficult time with.

Use your references from previous jobs from supervisors and co-workers that can represent you in the highest regard to a potential employer. With a 15 year career in your job field, I am sure you will have a number of good people to represent you to a potential employer.