KaterB1270
KaterB1270, Life Skills Instructor
Experience:  BS Family Consumer Sciences Ed. and Masters of Art in Teaching
63942956

Job/Career question : I really want to be a police officer, I want to

Customer Question

Attachment: 2013-07-04_221805_coverletter2.docx

Attachment: 2013-07-04_221501_police_resume2.docx

Job/Career question : I really want to be a police officer, I want to show you my resume and cover letter. There are two ways you can help me. 1. Provide me feedback on what else I can do to increase my chances to becoming a police officer in NJ, and 2. help me make my resume/cover letter sound more desirable. I am 30 years old, getting a little concerned about my age. Thank you!!!

Category: Job
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't found my answer, please make this public for all to view. thanks

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Thank you your question is open to all professionals. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes continue the search and leave my question open to public

Thank you for your patience as we search for the right professional to assist you. You'll receive an email notification as soon as you have a new reply.

Best,

Angela
Expert:  educatortech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the professionals here. I am an educator with over 15 years in education.

I would be more than happy to look over your materials and give you feedback on them.

How soon do you need the resource returned to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no rush, I just want my resume/cover letter to look the best it can, and id like some insight on what further education or experience I can do that might help my chances in this competitive field. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get a chance to answer my question yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: No answer yet.

Hello, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're alright with continuing to wait for an answer from a new professional. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please keep my question open I am sure someone has skills to help me with my resume, and give advice! thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am a career counselor and would be willing to help with your resume and cover letter. I will download the attachments and get to work on them promptly. I should be able to send you updated copies of the resume and cover letter by later this evening. I will be in touch as soon as I check them out.

KateB

Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 1 year ago.

I'm very sorry it took a while to connect with you and get you an answer. I have been on vacation and didn't answer any questions while away. Again I apologize. I took a look at your cover letter and feel that you most likely need to start with a cover letter format and then fill in your information. The following link will connect you to a great article that can help you take the information you have any help it flow better and sound more professional.

The link is: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/coverlettersamples/a/coverlettsample.htm

Also there are several samples included where you can compare your letter to those written as samples. I also have a format suggestion for your resume. If have linked you to a ton of resume formats for Microsoft office.

The link is: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?qu=resumes&ex=2&av=all

From what I can see your resume just needs to be tweaked a bit in format and then several things added. The first thing you need to do is write an objective for the top of your resume. The objective is basically why you want to be in law enforcement and why you are the best choice for the job. The objective should get the attention of there human resources person who is reading the resumes. The next suggestion is to not use any and yes I mean any abbreviations in your resume. This has been a way that human resource people decide if a resume will continue on or be trashed along the way. Another suggestion is to remove the references. Human resources people will contact you for reference information. At the bottom of your resume you should list "references available upon request" which will have the person in charge of hiring will make telephone contact with you. The goal of a resume and cover letter is to get people to recognize your name and want to know more about you. So the more they say or see your name the better. This might be through phone calls, emails, or snail mail contact. One other thing that needs to be change is you should list your work experience from the most recent to the job you had the longest ago. Also be sure to include a supervisors name and full contact information for each place you were employed. Another tip for resumes is to be sure all information is complete and correct. You can find most information needed online or in your past records.

I hope this helps you find your way into law enforcement. Please don't hesitate to ask any follow up questions you have I will be happy to answer in a quick reply.

KateB

Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 1 year ago.

Have you had a chance to look over my recommendations? If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

KateB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.