Linda Roch
Linda Roch, Lawyer
Experience:  I'm a job professional and resume expert.
19568076

I am actively looking for new job opportunities, and was

Customer Question

I am actively looking for new job opportunities, and was wondering if anyone could help me re-write/spruce up my resume a bit.

Category: Job
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Angela
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am ok continuing to wait for an answer. Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your patience while we search for a professional to assist you.

Best,

Angela
Expert:  lisalkawecki replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,

I would be happy to assist you with the information that you require. In addition to being an expert on the site, I am also a full time professor.

I would be happy to re-do your resume and make it more appealing to potential employers. Please post what you have and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you kindly,
Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

XXXXXX

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXX

(XXX) XXX-XXXX
XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

CAREER OBJECTIVE

To continue my efforts in becoming a world-class sales executive with an industry-leading company which provides the opportunity for growth and stability in a rapidly evolving technology industry; whereby my drive to succeed, lengthy interpersonal sales experience, extensive training and my proven results are put to the test and met with my positive outlook and disciplined work ethic; benefiting both my employer and myself alike.

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS

• 8 years of outside B2B and consumer sales
  • Direct Federal, State and Local Government experience and training
  • Direct DIR, ERATE, GSA, WSCA experience and training
  • AXIOM Sales Sciences Program Training
  • Professional Selling Principals Training
  • Strong Cold Calling/Prospecting Skills
  • Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Sales Force Automation, POS
  • Proficient in Funnel Management and Forecast Management
  • Strong Time and Territory Management Skills
  • Quick learner with the ability to adapt quickly and multi task in demanding environments
  • Self Starter and Self Motivated

EDUCATION

The University of Phoenix

Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Project Management

Relevant Courses

• Quantitative Analysis for Business
  • Understanding People and Organizations
  • Strategic Portfolio and Project Management
  • Project Estimating and Control Techniques
  • Leading Organizations and Making Decisions
  • Quality Management and Control

EXPERIENCE

Market Development Manager – Coca Cola Company January 2012 - Present

• Government Vertical Consultative Outside Sales
  • Aggressively met and exceed quotas for new adds, renewals and revenue
  • Develop, input, and maintain sales data base of customer information and maintain a 30/60/90 day funnel
  • Manage a territory of 10 counties spanning over 800 sq miles of S. Texas (90% travel)
  • Manage existing customer accounts and retention
  • Self-generate leads by prospecting, cold calling, phone calls, referrals, networking and industry events
  • Qualify and understand customers needs, perform needs analysis, ROI analysis and work with solutions architect to develop solutions to meet those needs
  • Discover customers challenges and initiative in efficiency, productivity, revenue, expenses, image, safety and security
  • Design, deliver and present sales proposals
  • Stage, manage, implement and assist in rollouts at customers facility
  • Stimulate productivity of sales team through guidance, development, and support

Sales Manager – Homesmart January 2010 – December 2011

• Monitored and ensured total customer satisfaction
  • Created, managed, and executed plans to increase sales and profits
  • Monitored and improved sales skills for all employees
  • Set specific goals for store performance and employee training and development
  • Provided leadership and guidance
  • Budgeted pencil profit system and report analysis
  • Inventory management and security of all store assets

Sales Consultant – CarMax The Auto Superstore January 2005 - December 2009

• Educated customers through detailed explanations and/or demonstrations
  • Aggressively met and exceeded sales quotas
  • Maintained customer relationships after the sale
  • Provided excellent service and individual attention to customers
  • Kept records of all interactions with customers, regardless of the outcome of a sale
  • Remained updated on product and company knowledge

ACTIVITIES AND HONORS

• Junior Achievement of South Texas, Volunteer, 2009
  • UTSA College of Science Spring 2010 “APEX” (At the Peak of Excellence) Student

REFERENCES

• References are available upon request

I actually had an evaluation done on my resume as well and below are some of

the changes or fixes the evaluator thought I should make:

The resume you have starts with an objective statement which is a bad marketing tactic plus an OLD resume technique that is not used today. The wording of an objective sounds like a demand on your part rather than a proposal of value offered.

Further, Brandon, you need to spruce up your summary of qualifications a bit. It definitely needs strengthening. For example,

Professional Selling Principals Training

Quick learner with the ability to adapt quickly and multi task in demanding environments

This is the section that you want to pay close attention to in that it is one of the most important sections of the resume. Employers will often make their decision on whether or not to proceed with the resume by first reading this section. Therefore, you need to make sure that it jumps out at the reader at first glance.

You could also improve this upper section to effectively introduce your offerings by including a list of "Core Competencies." This is a great strategy! It provides a quick and comprehensive look at your strengths from the beginning of the resume as well as help with those crucial key words so you can be found on the net! Core competencies should be specific areas of expertise and knowledge that can be supported by solid accomplishments. Additionally, a core competencies or "keyword" section also increases the odds of an electronic screening agent making a match between your resume and an open job requisition.

Now, let’s move on to the body of your resume.

Too many bullets...too little strategy! That is the majority of your job descriptions right now. Long lists of bulleted items become moot.

Let’s take a closer look at the wording in your resume...much of what you write is task-based, not results-based...pure job description. A few examples would be:

Manage existing customer accounts and retention

Monitor and ensure total customer satisfaction

Provide leadership and guidance

Educated customers through detailed explanations and/or demonstrations

and more. Task-based means it tells "what you did". Results-based is "what was achieved as a RESULT of what you did. You should be using powerful, industry-specific words rather than sounding like something copied out of the HR manual. Quality job descriptions should vividly describe the scope of your job and create a good frame of reference for your achievements. Instead, your statements are very vague and simply do not paint a strong picture. You need to speak to results! Never leave it up to the reader to make assumptions about what you did and why it was important. You need to be emphasizing your accomplishments and experiences in a dynamic way and it's vital you elevate the language throughout the document in order to give the best impression possible!

I would like to see more specific, measurable achievements noted in the document, more focused on quantitative results versus task-based content. Your resume needs to be converted from a task-based resume to a results-based CV. It can be done! For just one example – you report, Aggressively met or exceeded sales quotas”. Do you have any specifics? Any facts and figures? Employers are looking for results...specific results for that matter. They want to know you have solved problems similar to theirs and that you achieved the results for which they are looking.

You really have excellent experience but you need to do a better job showing how you have gotten things done in the past so the reader can be assured you can get things done in the future. You need to get that type of information in the resume in a more structured, highlighted way. The ones who get the interviews will be those who effectively show the results of their work. Don't be generic; show us how YOU shine!

In reading through your document, I noticed some issues with the wording.

Your job descriptions need a stronger start. Like a good headline, the first sentence in a job description should pique the reader's attention and draw her/him into the copy that follows. You start with things like: “Manage...” and “Provide..." - see what I mean? No interest level there. These are some weak verbs working for you here. Always start job descriptions with active verbs and write them so that the first sentence conveys keywords that are relevant to prospective employers. Then, if the reader skims the resume (and only glances briefly at the beginning of the job descriptions), she/he will still get a dynamic message - and perhaps be motivated to continue reading more.

Furthermore, I’m sure you don’t even realize it but you have verb tense errors and inaccuracies in the resume. Past experience should be written in past tense. Unfortunately, you have past experience in present tense. Only work you are currently doing should be in present tense.

When most job candidates write their own resumes, they don't consider word choice. Their primary concern is getting down the basic information. What you might not realize is that verbiage is critical, and the wrong word choice can sabotage your resume. When writing your resume, it's important to consider your audience. The average recruiter and/or hiring manager sees hundreds of resumes from qualified candidates for any given job opening. Resumes begin to look and sound the same. Make yours unique and stand out from the crowd of otherresumes.

The initial appearance of your resume is very important, and I see some areas for improvement.

Brandon, I strongly recommend a more attractive or reader-friendly design to the document to provide a better first impression and better readability. Remember that good formatting and design is especially important for candidates targeting professional positions. Employers expect you to have a more pulled-together, slick presentation of yourself because they expect you to give a professional presentation to customers, vendors, and others with whom you would be dealing at your target level.

On another note, the font you are using is not the most desirable. When hiring managers are reading through dozens of resumes, they will spend more time on one that has an ‘easy-to-read' font. We are constantly polling companies for feedback on what they want in a resume and believe it or not the font you use is a BIG deal!

Hi Brandon,

I would be happy to do this for you. On a side note, I concur with each of the remarks provide to you via your evaluation. Since tomorrow is July 4th, I would be able to have this posted for you on Friday afternoon, July 5th. Is that acceptable?

Thank you kindly,
Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Friday is absolutely fine. Thank you ahead of time for your help! I greatly appreciate it!
Glad I can help.

If I have any questions, I will on contact you Friday.

Have an enjoyable 4th of July!

Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lisa,

I just wanted to follow up with you and see if you were still planning on having the resume completed for me today, simply because I wanted to submit it to potential employers today. If there has been any changes in plans please let me know. Thank you for your time and help Lisa!

My husband was just in a car accident and I have to rush to the hospital.

I am opting out so that another expert may assist you immediately.

Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok! Sorry to hear that. Take care.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find another professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello again :)

We are still working with our professionals to find you the best possible match. But I wanted to touch base to see if you were still needing our professionals' assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is fine! I will continue to wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is fine! I will continue to wait.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello

I'm sorry to say we have exhausted all our efforts at this time to find the right professional to assist you with your question.

While we were not able to assist you with this question, please keep in mind that JustAnswer and Pearl.com have multiple categories, from Cars to Home Improvement, to assist you with any lingering question you may need answered.

At this time, we can offer you two options. You can choose to either have us return your good faith deposit back to it's original funding source OR you may keep your deposit in your JustAnswer account to use for a future question.

We hope you will consider us again in the future, even though we were not able to assist you with this question.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your efforts. Please refund my deposit back to its original source. Again, Thank you.