Joan
Joan, Job Advocate
Experience:  Advising on Jobs as a Mentor
5071285

If during a job interview, the question "What is your definition

If during a job interview, the question "What is your definition of an ideal supervisor?" is asked, if the person being interviewed answers the following, does this answer too often tend to only "SLIGHTLY" reduce one's chances, if at all, from getting the job, or does this answer too often tend to "GREATLY" reduce one's chances from getting the job? The answer is as follows: "My definition of an ideal supervisor is 1. A supervisor that is NOT a perfectionist, and therefore understands that nobody is perfect and that we all make mistakes. 2. A supervisor that is NOT influenced and/or swayed by any of his/her subordinates. 3. A supervisor that expects one to do their job well. That is my definition of an ideal supervisor." Thank you for your assistance.

Hello, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. Please let me know and I will assist further. Thank you!

Best,

Angela

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I will continue to wait. Thank you.

Thank you for your patience as we continue searching for the right professional to assist you.

Best,

Angela
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

O.K. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Angela, please hurry! Why are the Job experts having so much trouble?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Perhaps, my question might seem weird, but it shouldn't be because one can think of it this way: 1. If a supervisor or anyone else for that matter thinks they are perfect, they are full of hot air. Not even a computer is perfect. If the electricity goes out, no computer. 2. If a supervisor is influenced and swayed by subordinates, then he/she has no business being a supervisor. And of course 3. Everybody is supposed to do their job to the best of their ability. So, in my opinion, my question should not be weird.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a General/Job Expert,and have mentored many young people in the best way to handle a Job Interview, including my own Son. The answer you have given above is very good, but you may have to soften, the phrasing a bit. You could tell the interviewer that you feel a Good Supervisor understands their employees, that we are all human and make mistakes. Let them know you feel a Good Supervisor will take time to work with their employees and help them to reach their full potenial, while teaching them to correct mistakes. You want to keep your answer simple and to the point. This type of answer will let them know you are thinking ahead and want to reach your full potential even if you stumble along the way. It also shows your respect for authority. Please let me know if this answers your question. I will be happy to continue to work with you to make sure you are 100% Satisfied. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should the statement "a supervisor that is not influenced and/or swayed by any of his/her subordinates" be phrased more softly too?

Yes, you do not want to seem too judgemental. A supervisor is directly incharge of his subordinates has to feel he will have control of any situation, since he has worked to get in the position. If you use that phrase it could seem like you question his authority and his fairness when dealing with his subordinates. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any ideas on how this statement can be softened? Thank you.

I would say it this way:

"I feel a Good Supervisor understands their employees, that we are all human and make mistakes. I also feel a Good Supervisor will take time to work with their employees and help them to reach their full potenial, while teaching them how to avoid making those mistakes. This proves you are supervisor who shows your authority, but also fairness and compassion with your subordinates". .

The statement above is a softer version of what you are trying to say and should help you with securing the job, showing you understand authority and not question it, but are human and willing to learn with guidence. Joan

Joan, Job Advocate
Experience: Advising on Jobs as a Mentor