Nancy
Nancy, Teacher
Experience:  Teacher (20 years of experience) holding a Collegiate Professional Certificate in the State of VA
29014946

. When performing repetitive tasks it is easy to become bored

Customer Question

. When performing repetitive tasks it is easy to become bored and overlook important details. Please outline in 100 words or less, what would you do in this situation to ensure the job gets done properly?
Category: Job
Expert:  getsetgo replied 2 years ago.

getsetgo :

When a person performs repetitive tasks, there is chance of overlooking important details. To ensure that all tasks related to the job is complete, a checklist should be prepared. This will prevent skipping steps. A job can also be broken into smack tasks so that the person doing the job will make sure that he is performing all tasks. Interacting with other functions, customers etc can also help in keeping the person interested in job. The person should also be given chance to offer support the supervisor which will also help in skill enhancement and preparing the person for taking more responsibilities in future.

Expert:  getsetgo replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  lisalkawecki replied 2 years ago.

Good morning,

I would be happy to supply you with your answers to your questions. I am a teacher who specializes in writing for my customers. I have no problem writing 100 word, or a vit more if needed, for you today. I would be happy to provide you with what you need if you are still in need of answers. As soon as I hear from you I will write what you need and post it.

Have a great day,

Lisa

Expert:  Nancy replied 2 years ago.

When performing repetitive tasks it is easy to become bored and overlook important details. Please outline in 100 words or less, what would you do in this situation to ensure the job gets done properly?

You didn't say whether this was from a "self" perspective or from a manager perspective - so if you want me rework this, just let me know.

When a task becomes boring and repetitive there are things that can be done to make the job more interesting and to ensure the job is completed accurately with proper attention to detail.

Research suggests that rewards or positive reinforcement immediately following the specific act or task enhance performance. These rewards can be internal (self-generated), external or not tangible. Managers can give specific verbal compliments about the performance and quality of the repetitive job. Frequent positive verbal feedback is not only successful in promoting job quality but also inexpensive for a company.

Take a look at the how tasks being performed are valuable or how they help others. Don't think about the boring nature of a job. Instead think about the job's importance. For example, maybe the job is putting a specific car part together on an assembly line. This part is integral for the car to run and thus to enable people to drive to work, or get their kids to school or to the doctor.

If your job allows, you might listen to music. For some jobs music can actually enhance performance by helping with concentration. The job will also be more enjoyable and time will seem to go by faster. And finally, try to avoid negative thinking and consider breaking the job into smaller tasks if possible. Try to compartmentalize the tasks instead of looking at the big picture in order to make the job seem less overwhelming and boring.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response. This question is from a "self" perspective (when packing supermarket shelves).

Thank you.
Expert:  Nancy replied 2 years ago.

OK - so can you give me some feedback on what I wrote. I can re-work it based on the information about this being from a "self" perspective and when packing supermarket shelves. If I am on the right track -- I would be happy to continue but I do need to know you are ok with what I have so far (after targeting) the piece for your job.

Also - is there a deadline for this. I can get it to you sometime tomorrow if that is OK. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Nancy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nancy,
You are on the right track with the response. Tomorrow is more than ok for delivery.

Thank you.
Expert:  Nancy replied 2 years ago.

Great - thanks. I will get it to you tomorrow morning sometime. Thank you for the update. That information is helpful to be sure it becomes what you want it to be.

Nancy

Expert:  Nancy replied 2 years ago.
I had some time tonight to work on this essay. Let me know what you think and if you want me to do something different. Nancy

Research suggests that rewards or positive reinforcement immediately following the specific act or task enhance performance. These rewards can be internal (self-generated), external or not tangible. Self-generating positive thoughts and while working repetitively to stock the shelves is a way generate positive reinforcement and quality even when the job is repetitive.

Some may think stocking shelves to be menial. However, take a look at what the job really is and how tasks being performed are valuable or how they help others. Don't think about the repetitive nature of the job. Instead think about the job's importance. For example, food is a requirement for everyone and stocking shelves means parents are going to feed their children and mothers are going to have formula to feed their babies. Every person will need the services the store provides and without someone to stock the shelves, the store would not be able to function and people would lose their jobs. So stocking might be repetitive but it is integral to the function of the community.

Depending on your manager, store rules and the time you are stocking you might listen to music while stocking the shelves. Music can actually enhance performance by helping with concentration. The job will also be more enjoyable and time will seem to go by faster. And finally, try to avoid negative thinking and consider breaking the job into smaller tasks. Rotation of isles and stocking in one section then changing to another may help with the repetitive nature of the job. Try to compartmentalize the tasks. Instead of looking at the big picture and your entire night taken up to stock many isles, map out a plan in your head on how many isles you might stock before a break. The positive reinforcement in the form of a break and compartmentalizing the job will make the time go by faster and make the tasks less overwhelming and boring.

Expert:  Nancy replied 2 years ago.

I haven't heard from you about the essay. Would you let me know if this works for your purpose.

Thanks

Nancy