Seanna
Seanna, Hiring Manager
Experience:  Hiring manager, resume prep, interview skills & job search
8227740

I just got a performance improvement plan. Does this mean it

Customer Question

I just got a performance improvement plan. Does this mean it is very hard to stay with my current employer? They give me 30, 60, 90 days milestone. Does this mean they can let me leave any time? How can I protect myself? My boss wants to talk with me tomorrow. What should I say? Should I resign before they fire me? If they fire me, is it possible that they will disclose the reason for my leaving to my new employer? Thanks!
Category: Job
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using JustAnswer again. I will answer your questions in order. Please click accept and let me know if you have further questions.

1. Does this mean it is very hard to stay with my current employer?

No. If you can do what is listed on the plan, you will have little trouble staying with your employer. The plan shows that they want to keep you but need you to do better.

2. Does this mean they can let me leave at any time?

This does not change the situation- they can *always* terminate you, whether there is a plan or not, unless you have a written contract (very rare) that says they cannot.

3. How can I protect myself?

You must make sure you completely understand the items on the 30 day part of the plan for right now. If you do not, ask your manager immediately to make sure you know what you need to do. Tell your manager you really want to improve and stay with the company. Then, do your best work and check in with your manager every single week to ask them how you are doing so there are no surprises.

4. What should I say?

Say that you are committed to the company, you want to do better and you would like your manager's help and training to help you succeed. Tell your manager you have read the plan very carefully and you will work hard to fulfill each requirement. If you have any questions, ask.

5. Should I resign before they fire me?

No. They are not likely to fire you right now- the plan means they want to help you and give you a chance to do better, otherwise, they would have just fired you right away.

6. If they fire me, is it possible that they will disclose the reason form my leaving to my new employer?

It is possible, but it is very unlikely. No company wants to say they fired an employee for bad performance because that employee might sue them for defamation. These days, if you are looking for a job and give your company phone number to a someone you interview with, the old company will just say "He is not eligible to work here anymore." at the very most. Many companies will only say "We do not provide that information."

I wish you the best of luck on your performance improvement plan. I have seen many people keep their jobs after doing well on the plan. Please click accept and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Angela
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Angela, thanks for your help!
My manager gave me a chance to prove myself. I am going to the client site with my senior. However, she has a prejudice against me. I am 100% sure that she will not give me good review. What should I do? should I talk with my manager to avoid her? But it seems that my manager's attitude to me is not that good now. I am thinking if i need to talk with my boss.
2. My boss will have a meeting with me. what should I talk with him. He will ask me the reason for gap between my action and expectation. I plan to say: 1. cuture 2. communication skills 3. experience . what do you think?
3. If i resign today and make my resign be effective 30 days later, is it OK? Will they terminate me during the 30 days?
Thanks!
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
Please click accept for that last answer. :)

Here are your three new answers.

1. You are right that you should not complain about your senior to your manager. Right now, you need to do everything you can to make a good impression. Do *not* worry about her prejudice- only worry about doing the 30 day plan and keeping track of your progress. One way to do your best and help deal with her prejudice is to tell her that you would like her advice on how to handle the site visit because you know she is more experienced. Keep track of what you're told to do, and do it so you have good information to give your manager if there is a complaint.

2. Yes, this is a good explanation- it is reasonable and understandable. However, once you explain, spend most of your time talking about how you will improve! State that you are now able to overcome these obstacles and you are going to do better going forward.

3. No one can know for sure what they will do, but *usually* if you give notice, they will tell you to leave the same day. They do not want disgruntled employees at the company and they do not want you to get any sensitive information that you could give to a competitor. This has nothing to do with you, but is standard policy at many companies. Some companies will let you stay up to two weeks at the most, but I would not count on this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I mean RESIGN. Is it ok for me to resign 30 days in advance?
How can I know they really don't want me? I want to resign before getting fired. what is you suggestion?
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
If you try to resign, they will probably terminate you that same day. That is typical in many companies and industries. If they are more lenient, they may let you stay up to two weeks. I know of no company that would let you stay 30 days.

If they did not want you, they would fire you. They are under no obligation to keep you and termination is very common. The plan is your proof that you can remain there- but you need to succeed on the plan.

If you do not think you can succeed on the plan, *quietly and discreetly* look for a new job, and then, once you have one, that is the time to resign.

I have now answered ELEVEN questions for you. Please do click the green accept button so I receive credit for my time.

I am available for additional questions, so not to worry. :)
Seanna, Hiring Manager
Experience: Hiring manager, resume prep, interview skills & job search
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HI, Angela,
1. It seems that I can't work out the PIP. Also, it is very hard for me to find a job now. what is your suggestion?
2. Should I resign before they fire me?
3. Will fire negatively impact my job hunting in the future?
4. If you think I should resign, what is the best time to resign? Our contract is at will, does this mean I can resign at any time, even the same day?
Thanks!
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I am very sorry to hear you are not able to meet the conditions of the performance improvement plan. Here are all of the answers you requested to help you make the best decision for your future career.

1. I suggest that you begin looking hard for a new job during your off hours. Do not tell your current employer about this and do not provide the name or phone number of your current employer on resumes when you apply for new work. Or, if there is a lower-level job in the company that you think you could do, you *might* consider asking to be demoted if you fear you will have a lot of trouble looking for a new job at another company.

2. Keep the job as long as possible unless you think they will fire you within the next few days. If you think they are going to give you longer, use that time to work on finding a new job, but yes, do resign before they fire you.

3. Yes, being fired will negatively impact your job hunting, so if you think they will fire you soon, resign first.

4. The best time to resign is after you get a new job. If you absolutely cannot wait that long, the best time to resign is on a Friday afternoon at the end of the day so you have the weekend to regroup. You can resign at any time, but if they say you are fired before you say you are resigning, that is what will go on your record.

Please click accept and best of luck in this difficult situation. You are not alone in having a job not work out and there is a great chance that you will go on to something better!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Angela,
Thanks for your suggestion. But I am afraid that you missed my last question:
My contract is at will. How many days in advance do i need to resign? Can I resign on the same day? Fpr example, I told my boss that I will resign today. Is it OK and legal?

Actually my boss talked with me. He said; 1. You don't have the ability we want 2. I know you work hard to improve. However, you should consider that there will be two possibilities at the end of the 30 days: (1) you meet the expectation (2) You don't meet. You should take consider into the second result. 3. I ( my boss) has been put in PIP, I left the company and I got improved.

What do you think about my boss' talk? Is it a hint to let me go?

Thanks!
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

No, I did answer your question. I said: "You can resign at any time, but if they say you are fired before you say you are resigning, that is what will go on your record."

To be clear, you can resign at any time. It is ok and it is legal.

You do not need to give any amount of notice. You can say you are resigning and leave immediately. This is completely legal. However, many people *like* to give two weeks notice because it is better for your reputation if you are helpful to your employer.

For your new question, it sounds like your boss is encouraging you to leave and that your boss does not think you can successfully complete the performance improvement plan right now.

Best of luck in this situation!

Please click accept so I receive credit for my work and feel free to ask for me if you have any future questions.

Seanna, Hiring Manager
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so what is your suggestion for my situation now?
1. Should i resign immediately to avoid their fire?
2. I can resign on Monday ( June 20 ), and make my resign effective on July 1st. There can give them some time to regroup. But in my contract there is a sentence: If you resign, you agree to provide the company with at least two weeks' notice. If the company chooses not to continue your employment for the two-week notice period, you will be paid your base salary for the remaining portion of such twoweek period. If you do not provide at least two weeks' notice, you will be paid only through your last day of employment.
Per your understanding, is it legal for me to make a one week notice?
3. I can resign on Monday ( June 20), and make my resign effective on July 4, which is two week in advance. I can tell them that after June 30, i will use my 4 days vacation. However, this will exceed their June 30 deadline of my PIP. Is it possible that you will fire me immediately when they get such notice. I think they want me to disappear by the end of this month.

If you were me, what will you do? Thanks!
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for posting your contract. That does make a difference. Now that I have that information, here is my advice.

You should give notice on Monday, June 20, and then whether they keep you or not, you should look very hard for work. It will be easier to find a new job while you are still working than after you are terminated/resign.

They might tell you that you do not need to come back in at all after that, but at least you will still be paid for two weeks of work.

If you resign, yes, they may decide to terminate your employment right away, but that is still much better than being fired. Because if you give notice, you get the 2 weeks pay AND you get to say "resigned" when you apply for new work- you will not have to say fired.

Best of luck in your job search!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. per your reading of our contract, does this mean that I have to give 2 weeks notice indavance? One of my friends said the contract said I HAVE TO give 2 weeks notice.
2. which one do you think is better, giving 10 days notice or 2 weeks notice? 2 weeks will exceed their PIP deadline.
3. In my question, I mean if I reisgn, is it possible that they FIRE me immediately?
4. if they FIRE me, but I resign first, will this be considered FIRE or RESIGN? Thanks!
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
1. Yes, based on this specific contract, you need to give two weeks notice, though they may not make you work the whole two weeks. The good thing is, they will *pay* you for the two weeks no matter what.

2. You need to give two weeks notice, so 14 days.

3. No, they can't fire you once you have resigned.

4. If you resign first, it is considered resigning.

Hope that helps!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But what does this sentence mean:
If you do not provide at least two weeks' notice, you will be paid only through your last day of employment.
Does it mean taht I am allowed to give less than 10 days notice?

Based on my boss' talk, if you were me, you will resign or wait for the fire?

Thanks!
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
This sentence means if you give two weeks notice they guarantee you 2 weeks pay.

If you give less notice, you may get no pay as they can just let you go right then or you may get less pay if they decide to let you stay a few days but not as many days as you want.

I would resign and give two weeks notice.