Seanna
Seanna, Hiring Manager
Experience:  Hiring manager, resume prep, interview skills & job search
8227740

I am offered a job to be Santa outside a food & liquor store.

I am offered a job to be Santa outside a food & liquor store. How much should I get per hour?
they want 8 hours a day for 2 days
Category: Job
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using JustAnswer again. Santa Clauses are actually some of the best paid of all workers, partly because of the revenue they generate and partly because of the seasonal and demanding nature of the work. Santa must always be self-conscious as he is so recognizable and always 'on stage.' Santas in malls (such as the type children take photos with) earn much more than any other type of Santa, except actors in parades and things. A mall Santa will average between $100 and $175 per hour: this is largely because people are paying to see them and for the associated photo packages, and this all brings traffic (revenue) to the mall. Additionally, companies who 'rent out' Santas charge anywhere from $100-$175 per hour (though the rate drops somewhat for longer appearances), though the Santa does not receive the entire fee.

Your rate will be somewhat lower because you will not directly be creating revenue for the store. One additional factor in your favor, though, is that some compensation must be made for working outdoors in winter. So, for this type of job, the exact recommendation might vary depending upon your location (more in urban areas, less in rural) but it would be quite reasonable to request $60 per hour, or if you want to round up, $500 per day. This is based on your unique factors, Santa Claus hourly rates and the rates for independent actors, which is what you will be for these two days. Your employer should keep in mind that you'll be working outdoors in winter, drawing in traffic and basically being a performer, likely without much in the way of breaks for a very short-term gig.

Please click accept and let me know if you have any further questions.

Good luck with the Santa gig, it should be fun, as long as the weather cooperates!

Edited by Angela on 12/21/2010 at 2:03 AM EST
Seanna, Hiring Manager
Experience: Hiring manager, resume prep, interview skills & job search