Seanna
Seanna, Hiring Manager
Experience:  Hiring manager, resume prep, interview skills & job search

My co worker is undermining me at work. We are both sales people.

Customer Question

My co worker is undermining me at work. We are both sales people. My boss says she is intimidated by my experience and professionalism.
My bosses wont say anything to her because they dont know "what to do".
Last week she arrived a sales call we were supposed to go to together. She went in without me and tried to seal the deal without me.
This is what I WANT to say to her today but I would like to be professional and not stoop to her level.
thank you
Category: Job
Expert:  NonEstateEsq replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using the JA website.

What is your legal question, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I sent it in the body of my email, can you read what I sent?

My co worker is undermining me at work. My bosses know about it and dont know how to "make her stop". She is pushy and bossy and she intimidates them.
Last week we went on a sales call and we were supposed to go in together. She got there before me and was trying to get my client to sign the contract so she would get credit. She is supposed to be our "sales leader". The client had flirted w me and I asked my boss if next time I returned I could go with a partner. I believe the backstabber told the client what I had said to my boss. When she returned she told my bosses something but I dont know what.
She has done much more, this is just an example.I know I should say, "If you have a problem with me lets resolve it now. We need to work together in a healthy way to create the most productive work environment."
From what I have experience with Genie, this will come across as weak and she will continue to drive over me like a freight train.
It doesnt seem like my bosses plan on doing anything about it, they already gave my office to her. I have much more experience and they say it is just because she is intimidated by me.
I know I should say. " If you have a problem with me, let’s resolve it now, because we need to work together in a healthy way to create the most productive work environment
If you have a problem with me, let’s resolve it now, because we need to work together in a healthy way to create the most productive work environment
I want to protect myself from her conniving ways and not get frustrated and quit or be fired for going off on her. I want to say
Yes, I have read what you have written but I still don't see a legal question in there. What is your legal question, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok my question is more for a counselor than legal. How do I not get charged for this question please?
Since I did not answer your question and thus you had nothing to accept, you have not been charged. Customers only get charged when they accept an expert's answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok great, thank you have a wondeful day
Expert:  Seanna replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using JustAnswer. I apologize for the delay, but your question was forwarded to me in our Jobs category and I will be glad to assist you.

I am sorry to hear about the situation you are in. It is a complicated and frustrating one, but actually not at all uncommon.

Although I have not met Genie, it is clear to me that the strategy you suggest, which is confronting her directly in a spirit of mature cooperation is not likely to work, for the reasons you have pointed out. Basically, if she doesn't know how to play nice, your asking her nicely to play nice probably won't accomplish the goal, which is to make her behave professionally.

However, it may be necessary for you to address the issue directly, just so that you can document your effort. In a case like this, where the employer/boss is not willing to step right in and take action, it unfortunately falls on you to start keeping a record of the problems.

Writing a journal, which includes the dates and times of incidents, as well as her specific actions and the harm they caused, will help empower management to act. This is partly because you will be doing some of the work for them, but moreso because they will realize that by avoiding the problem of Genie's behavior, they are opening themselves up to liability for not maintaining a professional workplace.

So, it is important that you record the problems to date, ask your management for permission to have the 'I want us to work together' conversation with Genie, and then, when that doesn't work, to continue recording for a while. After a couple of weeks, bring this back to your management, and next, escalate to the company's human resources department if necessary. Though Genie may not respond well to a direct request, the HR department is much more likely to do so, so if you go in prepared with the action that you expect to be taken and your journal of concerns, the odds will be in your favor.

Of course, in an ideal situation, this wouldn't all be necessary, and I know that this is not the quickest plan, however, my primary concern is to keep you in the curren position, on stable ground with the company, because at this point, it does not sound like it is worth walking away from an otherwise useful job.

On a final note, I was concerned about your statement that Genie had been given your office. This makes it sound as if there may be an underlying issue; if so, please let me know and I can give that some thought if you like.

For the moment, please click accept so I receive credit for answering your question, and please feel free to ask any follow up questions. Clicking accept will *not* end our conversation. Thank you. I look forward to your reply,

Angela

Edited by Angela on 10/26/2010 at 12:46 AM EST