Jobman, Employment Services Professional
Experience:  18 years of Job Service Dept of Labor experience. Helping people find jobs and counseling.

do you have to have a high school diploma to obtain welding

Customer Question

do you have to have a high school diploma to obtain welding certification?
Category: Job
Expert:  Jobman replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer thanks for using justanswer. I will do my best to answer your question, but first, wouldyou please let me know where you are located? thanks. Joe.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hey Joe,

I am located in Hampton, Tennessee.

Expert:  Jobman replied 6 years ago.
Heya. Thanks for the reply. There ARE places in tennessee (and other states) that will award a certification without a high school diploma, but they are definitely in the minority, as most technical schools and colleges, and voc/tech schools require either a high school education or to take the course while working toward a diploma. Something you need to keep in mind as you decide what you want to do with regard to welding is that most employers want people with a high school education or a GED. Employers automatically figure that people with an education know how to do math problems, measuring problems, etc better than people who quit school say in the 10th or 11 th grade. (although we know that isn't necessarily true). IF you manage to find a school that will take you without a HS diploma, be sure before you put any money down, that the certifications are valid (AWS, etc). I would suggest as a starting point that you contact the closest Tennessee Dept of Labor and workforce development. Im not sure how close you are to a city that has one, but there has to be one near you. Workforce Development, and the Workforce Investment Act are federal programs started about 10 years ago to insure that people needing education and training got it, and it is a possibility that they would have funding available for you to attend welding school or maybe pay for it entirely. it depends on the situation. As long as you're at least 16 in most states, they will work with you, and there is really no upper age limit. They have a list of schools that are accredited to award welding certificates. as I said be fore, you want to be careful that the school you do end up attending is accredited to offer national certifications. does that help? if so, please just click the "accept" button. if not, please feel free to let me know, and we'll go from there, ok? Thanks. Joe.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Joe. This at least lets us know that it may be possible. My son Greg has learning disabilities that were never addressed in school, not that we didn't try. He was border line for getting assistance and dropped out of school his Junior year. He attempted to obtain a GED but has panic attacks and folded during test. He did score the minimum on pre-test given. We will check into this and see where it leads.
Expert:  Jobman replied 6 years ago.
No problem at all. glad I could be of some help. Here in New YOrk State, we have a program run by VESID (vocational and educational services for individuals with disabilities). Im positive that Tennessee would have something like that, and an organization like that would make it even more likely that your son would be able to get some extra assistance. Funding is usually fully paid, and they assist in finding a job etc. Anyone at the labor dept worth their salt would know about these programs and give you names and addresses. If that doesnt work, please let me know and I"ll find someone out there in Tennessee that can help you get to the right organization, k? Just let me know. Joe.