Torski, Employment Services Professional
Experience:  10 years of strategic HR experience, Career Coach, Professional Resume Writer

Where can a felon in Virginia work

Customer Question

Where can a felon in Virginia work?
Category: Job
Expert:  Torski replied 7 years ago.
As a human resources professional in Virginia, I have hired many ex-felons with the Richmond Times-Dispatch. There is a position there called an Mailroom Inserter. It is a PT permament opportunity but can be very rewarding and provide a stable work history either until full-time opportunities open up at the newspaper OR a person seeks out a FT opportunity elsewhere...

I hope this helps!

Claiming nothing but success in all your career endeavors,

The Career Confidence Coach
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Does the felony have to be a certain amount of years old? That does help but I was looking for more options, maybe a list if possible

Expert:  Torski replied 7 years ago.
In order to work in any warehosue environment, you have to be at least 18 years old. If you have experience with pallet jacks or working in a warehouse environment, this experience would make you an ideal job applicant. There are many mailroom inserters that go on to obtain opportunities in the company's apprentice pressperson program OR possibly as a FT Mailroom supervisor.

Opportunities are very limited for those job applicants with felony conviction in Virginia. This is a SOLID job lead that would truly be worth your time in looking into employment. As a HR professional with over 4 years working with the ex-felon population in this capacity, I know one of the keys to success outside of jail is employment and that the longer one goes without being able to obtain employment, the odds increase on his/her return to an incarcerated status.

Unfortunately, I am most intimately familar with this option and am not aware of a list of job opportunities. I would suggest an ex-felon to work with his/her probation officer to identify a "list" of options.

I hope this helps!

Claiming nothing but success in all of your career endeavors,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I think it is really sad that there are not more opportunities for convicted felons. It is hard for someone to change their lives after such conviction and after all everyone has to work to survive.