Seanna
Seanna, Hiring Manager
Experience:  Hiring manager, resume prep, interview skills & job search

can a employer change your work days and can you refuse

Customer Question

Category: Job
Expert:  Seanna replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Woody, and thanks for using Just Answer! Please let me know a little more information so I can provide an accurate answer for you.

1. Does your employer have a written contract with you, or an employee handbook?

2. How long have you been with the company?

3. Are there any other details you want to provide as background?

Please reply and I will be able to give you the correct information. Thanks,

Angela
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi yes the employer has a written contact and i have been with the company for just under 2 years , my contract hours are 8am till 5.30 pm mon-fri and i have to work 1 in 3 saturdays for 3 hours , and i also have to wok a minimum of 3 hous on stocktakes which is usally the end of the month. all this is included in my salary wage.

They would like to do change it so that we work 2 full saturdays every month 8 am till 3pm and have a day of during the week.

Its is a problem for me as i have my little girl at weekends . and having a day of during the week is of no use to me

Expert:  Seanna replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Woody. As it stands, if your hours are explicitly laid out in the contract, your employer is responsible for maintaining the hours specified. However, it is likely the contract has language permitting certain changes, although there may be a stipulation that requires a certain amount of notice would be provided to employees before changes are made or that changes be approved by the union or similar organization if you belong to one. Realistically though, even though you have a set schedule at the moment, you likely have no promise that the schedule will remain that way indefinitely. That would be disadvantageous to the business so I doubt the contract is written that way.

To confirm this, you need to examine the contract closely to see what rights your employer has listed to change the terms of your employment, particularly in regards XXXXX XXXXX changes. If you are unclear on the wording, you can post it here and I will take a look.

As a practical matter though, my suggestion would be that you build a case to take to your manager or HR department as to *why* specifically it is to their advantage to maintain your schedule. I know that you want to keep it for the sake of your daughter, but that will not motivate the company. To motivate your employer, you need to show them concrete reasons it will benefit them to keep your schedule the same. Some reasons might be:

• With other employees switching to the new schedule it would be valuable for one of you (namely *you*) to stay on the old shift to oversee things.
  • You are highly productive during the weekday they're going to make you take off, and you can demonstrate your productivity in terms of dollars or some other metric.
  • They would actually get more hours out of you on the current schedule so that switching you would actually cause a drop in profits/productivity.
So, while the situation is not in your favor, it can't hurt you to make a strong case, and then go in with a professional attitude to negotiate for what you want. This will not always be successful, and in that case, it will be time to decide whether you can make the schedule work for you and your daughter or whether you may wish to consider another position or even working at another company. In these tough economic times, I have a hard time recommending any job change, so I do hope the situation will work out for you. Good luck and please click accept if this answered your question. Thanks,

-Angela