MsWest, Business Owner, Consultant
Experience:  Extensive management, business, finance & tax experience.

what format should be used in a response to a

Customer Question

what format should be used in a response to a written warning?
Category: Job
Expert:  MsWest replied 8 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

First, you should respond in writing and address your letter to your company's human resources department as well as to the supervisor of your department and your immediate supervisor, if they are the one who gave you the warning. If they didn't then only send your response to HR and the department head. include what is written in the warning and then your responce to it. For example, something like this:

XYZ Co. Human Resources XXXXX Anytown, USA 55512

Re: XXXXX XXXXX Written warning

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to appeal the written warning I received on August 5, 2008. I received this from XXXXX XXXXX, my supervisor in the hammers and nails fdepartment of XYZ Company.

The warning states that I have been, "Taking excessive restroom breaks and have been late from returning after lunch periods."

I do not feel this is accurate. On most days I take 1-2 restroom breaks during my entire shift. The employee handbook states employees are allowed "brief restroom visits throughout their shift, as necessary." I do not feel 1-2 breaks per shift are excessive. Regarding being late returning from lunch, I returned from lunch approximately 10 minutes late on August 2, 2008. On that day I was caught in traffic, as a motor vehicle accident had occurred about 2 miles from the company parking lot, and traffic was stopped on Smith Street. I explained this to my supervisor and was told it was okay and that he understood.

Please consider cancelling this warning, as I honestly do not feel it is warranted. I do not believe I have violated company policy. I have been at XYZ for 11 years and am a loyal and good employee. This is the first warning I have received.

Thank you,

This is just an example, but you can use something similar and fill in the details of your situation.

You sign your response letter and then both hand-carry it to the HR department, if possible, and mail it by certified mail, return receipt requested. You then have proof you sent it. It may be delivered in person to supervisors.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help you further with this.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question.

Expert:  MsWest replied 8 years ago.

I just noticed the formatting of the above letter did not post correctly. The following should be on separate lines without the double spacing. For some reason, this will not show correctly here. Also, with "written warning," you might want to add "of 8/2/08" but using the date of the actual warning.

XYZ Co. Human Resources

Anytown, USA 55512

Written warning

If you would like help with your written response, please let me know, and I'd be happy to help in whatever manner you need.