The Ombudsman
The Ombudsman, Executive
Experience:  Retired executive after 33 years; able to help with employee issues.

what is a good answer for rate of pay desired on a job application.

No Comment Added
Category: Job
Expert:  The Ombudsman replied 8 years ago.
Most companies already know what they are going to offer you when you apply for a position, and SOME companies cannot deviate from the established salary for their positions (especially civil service organizations and those where unions dictate salaries for various classifications).

So the dollar amount of your response is usually ignored... but how you respond to the question isn't ignored.

The following response will be both non-committal and professional.

"I anticipate being offered a competitive pay rate for this position, considering the duties and my experience in this kind of work. But more importantly, I anticipate being appreciated, being respected, and being treated fairly."

If the interviewers have any ability whatsoever, they should want YOU for the job.