The Ombudsman
The Ombudsman, Executive
Experience:  Retired executive after 33 years; able to help with employee issues.
2837397

I am 54 years old and need career advice. I am a female ...

I am 54 years old and need career advice. I am a female and have a Masters Degree and cannot seem to find a job at the managerial level.
Category: Job
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Dear Chase, Thanks so much for looking at my question. No one ever helped me with my resume and I would appreciate it if they would. I am looking for a mid-level position, not even managerial. Perhaps it is my age. Another alternative is that I have a degree in teaching computer science, but the degree is from 1983 and I haven't really kept up with all of the new languages. I would like to work for a college or university in the IT department or the Registrar department.

I will send you my resume too!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  The Ombudsman replied 9 years ago.
As a retired executive who has progressed through management levels, and one who has hired subordinate managers, I can tell you that it is actually RARE that a manager in any field is hired from the outside in middle-management positions.

Those who ARE have specific skills unique to the position that is open.

If an organization just wants "a manager" they usually have multiple internal candidates who know the company, know the work, know the people, and think they are qualified to fill a management-level position. It is a far better risk to hire someone from within if you are ready and willing to "take a chance" on someone.

IT Manager candidates in particular are TOTALLY in competition with each other. I once taught computer methods in Civil Engineering and deployed multiple IT systems in my design groups. They ALL worked as planned. But my 1972 Master's Degree and applied work didn't even COME CLOSE to qualifying me to take the Systems Analyst exams that would have eventually led to IT managerial jobs. Based on your 1983 degree and not having "kept up" - forgive my honesty and directness - you are not ever going to get an IT management job.

In my pre-retirement life I have hired, replaced, and reassigned IT people to get the best results from their skills and dedication. I have seen IT managers up close and personal. They need both totally current and PROVEN technical AND supervisory AND management skills to do their job. That means multiple level direct experience.

Without that multiple level direct experience no executive will have a good reason, or be inclined, to take a chance on you instead of one of their existing employees for an IT management position.

I have been there. Anyone who tells you otherwise is leading you on.
The Ombudsman, Executive
Experience: Retired executive after 33 years; able to help with employee issues.