Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Human Resources Consultant
Experience:  GPHR Cert from SHRM; Military provided 20 yrs exp managing & directing all HR areas + 7 yrs corp
586644

What does CC mean when writing a letter?

CC at the end of a letter means, literally "Carbon Copy". It has come to mean copy furnished. In the following example, the letter is being copied to three people. It is used anytime you require a copy to go to someone other than the original person.

For example:

Dear (Name),

Paragraph one

Paragraph two

Best Regards

(Your Name)

cc: Beverly, Bill, John

NOTE: You have to be careful of how you use "cc".

If you send a copy to the wrong person, then you could be admonished for it, or jeopardize accounts.

If you unintentionally use a CC, it can cause great commission, even if the copy never really went. Everyone may think it has gone to that person. For example, confidential business plans being sent to a third party.

On the other hand, in a situation where you need the authority of someone higher up in the organization, it might be appropriate to cc that person. For example, I might need some power to close a deal with a vendor. I can cc the CEO or president of his company and my company. That usually gets things unstuck and moving.

Read full interaction below »

I am writing a formal letter. What does cc mean, and how do I use it correctly?

Category: Job
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 11 years ago.

For example:

Dear (Name),

Paragraph one

Paragraph two

Best Regards

(Your Name)

cc: Beverly, Bill, John