Alex
Alex, Trained
Experience:  Have assisted in training employees
143928

job application

Customer Question

what are the strengths you bring to teaching and in particular what could you bring to the catholic school?
Category: Job
Expert:  Alex replied 11 years ago.
My girlfriend is a teacher. This is a compilation of answers from her application. She got the job, so hopefully this will help you:

" I have always had a love of the arts (you could say "teaching". Troughout Elementary, Middle, and High school I was closely involved with the art department and looked up to my art teachers (or just "teachers"). I went to college in order to study art (or "education") and decided to pursue a Masters degree in art education (or not...).   I feel that serving others is an immensely rewarding pursuit. (This would also be a good place to mention how your religion has played a role in wanting you to teach, its impact on your teaching style/philosophy, maybe a particular priest that influenced your decision to go into teaching)

(My girlfriend wrote about her connection with the school's city. We grew up in the city where she teaches, so if you grew up where you are applying, you may want to mention that. It shows that you are doing this because you care about the people and also that you will have an understanding of the type of people you will be teaching. If you went to the school itself, I would talk this up ALOT. This is also a good point to talk about your connections with the Church ie your parish, did you go to a Catholic school) My girlfriend said: Baltimore is my hometown, and I have a great love for the city and the people. Community arts have helped me to forge connections with the Baltimore community that are unlike any I have previously known. I want to serve as the art specialist this summer in order to continue reaching out to the youth of Baltimore through the arts.

(She talked about her relevant experience. It can actually be a short paragraph cause most of this will probably come up in the interview. Something like "When I was __, I worked as a camp counselor. It was my frist real experience working with children as a teacher and helped me to realize that helping others to learn is what I want to do in life. Throughout college, I have taken numerous education courses provided me with the knowledge to be an excellent teacher. In addition, my time spent student teaching helped me to develop my skills as an educator" will probably work. Of course, fill in these suggestions with actual experience.)

"I will try to create a classroom environment that is fun and positive, but also stresses academics and sets high expectations for the students. It will be important that students are excited about coming to class. I think it will be challenging to keep students interested and focused, but I have many ideas on how to accomplish this. Many of the students we work with may already have learning disabilities, which will only increase the challenge.

I will face these challenges by attempting to create an environment for students that is safe, supportive, and positive." (Add whatever else you want about your teaching style/philosophy, what you expect to face, etc)

(Conclude by reiterating your strong desire to teach, serve the community, be a positive impact in childrens lives, etc)