Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

What is a Cath Lab Loop Recorder Implant? Yes, my

Customer Question

What is a Cath Lab Loop Recorder Implant?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, my cardiologist wants to place one. I do not take any medication for my heart.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: No heart disease in my family. I am in good general health but get out of breath easily and pass out recently.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had stress test and other MRI tests last July that my cardiologist said were OK. My test I am asking about is scheduled for tomorrow and I realized that I should have asked more questions about it and I hope you can tell me more about that test. How long has it been done, how safe to wear that implant for up to 3 years?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

The implantable loop recorder (ILR) is a subcutaneous, single-lead, electrocardiographic (ECG) monitoring device used for diagnosis in patients with recurrent unexplained episodes of palpitations or syncope, for long-term monitoring in patients at risk for or with documented atrial fibrillation (AF), and for risk stratification in patients who have sustained a myocardial infarction (MI) and those who have certain genetic disorders.Surgery usually takes 1 - 2 hours. Most patients are discharged the same day, but an overnight stay can last 1 – 2 days. An implantable loop recorder, unlike a pacemaker, does not have wires directly into the heart, so it does not present a risk from that standpoint and is safe.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.