Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My husband is 81. He has a bad cold. I noticed this morning

Customer Question

My husband is 81. He has a bad cold. I noticed this morning his heart is beating quite fast. Should I be concerned? JoAnn Supan
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: No history of heart disease. My husband has the beginnings of Alzheimers disease, but physically his health is good. He takes 100mg of Metoprolol daily and Lisinoprril 10 mg daily.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I can't remember if he has Afil or not. he has had a Tia-about 10 years ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your question.

What was heart rate? Is it possible to check his blood pressure? Does he have a fever? Is he drinking adequate amount of water and other fluids?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no means of checking his blood pressure. Yes, he had 100.4 fever. most of the day yesterday. No, he hates drinking water. Yesterday, he had 4 0z apple juice, 6 0z, chicken noodle soup, 2 oz of pepsi and that is about it, maybe 4 more oz. of apple juice. I only guessed by listened to him that his heart rate is about 1 and1/2 times faster than mine.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His pulse is 64.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

This is likely due to the fever since fever causes an increase in the heart rate. If he has no other symptoms such as chest pain, dizziness, awareness of heart beat, or vomiting, then this is not a reason to get concerned. Make sure that he is drinking adequate fluids to prevent dehydration. For the fever he may take tylenol (acetaminophen).

If possible later you may order or get an automatic blood pressure checking apparatus from the local pharmacy. This will be beneficial in monitoring his blood pressure since he has hypertension.

A pulse of 64 is normal.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work. Also a bonus will be appreciated.

If you have follow-up questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.