Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

My heart skips beats, my dad is 83 had open heart surgery 15

Customer Question

my heart skips beats
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: my dad is 83 had open heart surgery 15 years ago , my health over weight
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: diabetes
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age & gender?

Since how long you have noticed skipped heart beat?

Any pain in chest or breathing discomfort?

Any tests done so far?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

I was waiting for your reply but never got from your side.

So based on available information,I am hereby posting the answer now:

Skipping of heart beats can be minor and do not require medical treatment if you do not have other symptoms or a history of heart disease.But it can be serious as it can change the amount of blood that flows to the lungs and other parts of the body.Hyperthyroidism(high levels of thyroid hormone) should always be ruled out with blood tests before making the diagnosis.

Other causes of high heart rate are:anxiety, or drinking a lot of caffeine-containing beverages,congenital defects, coronary artery disease, chronic disease of the heart valves, or a lung disease.

As you are diabetic & have family history of heart disease,where you dad underwent open heart surgery 15 years ago, you need to get it checked by your doctor to rule out any heart disease.

Keep a record of how often you have palpitations, when they happen, how long they last, your heart rate at the time of the palpitations, and what you are feeling at the time.

All types of repeatedly skipped heart beat/palpitations should be checked by the doctor to rule out any heart disease.You need some blood tests & EKG.,stress test.

So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh