Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  I am a certified critical care specialist with experience of working in cardiology for over 2 years including CCU and CSICU
22950887

Cardiology I'm sure isn't the right place to ask this but I

Customer Question

Cardiology I'm sure isn't the right place to ask this but I have a question about my neck / throat feeling as if swollen under the skin, I can feel it with my fingers, the middle of my neck feels hard not extremely like a rock but harder then i think is normal like it thicker then the sides and all like the skin thicker if this makes any sense and I also have a slight discomfort when swallowing but not very painful in any way
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 10 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well from your description it sounds like that you MAY have developed a localized enlargement of the thyroid gland in the neck. This would sometimes not be very visible but CAN be felt on a clinical examination, In many cases the enlargement is completely benign and needs no treatment at all. However if there are changes in the thyroid hormone levels that would require treatment. Now at the same time it is also possible that you could have developed a minor thyroglossal cyst, this is a benign condition altogether and needs to treatment. Now without a complete examination of the neck it would be hard to say what is the exact problem but it sounds like that you may have a minor swelling in the region. Most neck swellings would only become apparent when they increase in size while minor lumps etc would need to be felt.

Now another possibility here is that you have acid reflux which is causing the pain while swallowing. This would cause burning in the chest, abdomen and also a bad taste in the mouth. Try using OTC prilosec and if that helps then it would be more or less confirmed that you have an element of acid reflux alongwith an external swelling. if you have a picture of the neck i would be happy to evaluate it for you.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What will you be able to see in a picture online I don't see any odd look just feel it when swallowing as well as by touch
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 days ago.

I wanted to look at the picture to make sure that you dont have a swelling which is visible, as i said many a time the swelling would have to be felt but if you cant see it, then it is fine you dont need to attach a picture.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is this sufficient maybe a side profile picture also ?
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 days ago.

This looks like that the thyroid MIGHT be enlarged but you are right the swelling is not very significant. But i do feel thyroid and thyroglossal cyst should be looked for.

Do you have any more questions?

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 days ago.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.