khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

My father has been in isolation and lock down in hospital

Customer Question

My father has been in isolation and lock down in hospital for coming up two years.
Dad has memory issues and has been waiting for a long term care home in hospital for one to come up. Dad went into hospital with an aerobic tear and the doctors said he should wait in the lockdown ward in hospital he also has esbl a weakened immune system which we gown up and wear gloves to protect him from germs. This is not an issue in a home more in the hospital if he had wandered in another room.
The wait of 2-6 months well it just isn't happening with our short wait list.
There is a shortage I am told for lock down and long term care. Dad was exit seeking at the beginning first 6 months. Now dad is falling more in the last month and this past week he is not comfortable walking as his feet and legs are starting to swell no doubt from sitting in a chair with few walks due to isolation. The nurse last nite told me it was edema. How they can continue to say my 89 year old father is still a high risk exit seeker is beyond me. I am very concerned about the edema and dad becoming bed ridden as he remains categorized as exit seeking when he can barely walk and this category has the fewest beds in LTC homes. I would like to know more about the edema and how to keep dad mobile so he can make it out of that ward. I am going to talk to the doctor who visits that ward briefly ever morning about walking dad will this hurt him ? Will this just get worse how is it treated? I remain optimistic dad will make it into a home but am getting very concerned now. Would the long stay in room with a big barrier across the door to keep him in not compound this issue? With people from the community getting bed first … before people in hospital who are deemed safe … well at a point the hospital is making my dad sick now and this could not be considered a crisis?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  khagihara replied 12 days ago.

What is the reason he has been in isolation? What is his diagnosis?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ESBL
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it is an urinary tract infection that makes his immune system vulnerable.I am concerned as dad had an aerobic tear and has weak heart but has always been healthy other than this the tear has healed. Could the edema be related to dads heart. I want to take him for a walk as I usually do but will this be painful for dad
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I want the ccac who determines who gets moved to a home were dad could walk freely and he loves to walk and keep moving that this is not the hospital in isolation is not the environment to keep dad in. I want the doctor to intervene but this is just my opinion as he say ccac makes the call. I have heard doctors can get involved but my dads doctor has retired and I cannot get a doctor outside the hospital.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
With dads dementia it is not a good place to be as there is not enough stimulation for dad also with esbl there are air born germs.
Dad can only get infected by another patient he cannot infect anyone else
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have to go off to work but the new edema and swelling concerns me should I keep trying to walk him if it is painful? I don't know.
A man from his generation never says anything hurts. He says it doesn't but I think it does?
I have to leave for work but look forward to continuing after work
Expert:  khagihara replied 12 days ago.

ESBL can be treated with antibiotics called carbapenem (imipenem, meropenem, doripenem, and ertapenem). His edema could be due to heart failure, liver failure, or kidney failure. You should ask his doctor about the cause.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I keep trying to walk him if it is painful? I don't know. should I try keep dad moving now I am really leaving for work the doctor hasn't called
Expert:  khagihara replied 12 days ago.

It is not painful. But falls are not good because his bones are fragile. He could have delirium because of the infection.

Expert:  khagihara replied 12 days ago.

He could also have psychosis because of dementia.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is edema an infection? I was at the hospital yesterday so sorry for the delay in getting back. Dad had X-rays for fluid in the lungs yesterday. The doctor left me a message he taken him off norvas which he said could cause the water retention? Dad just said to me last week he feels on his way out but is still aware enough yesterday to mention you have you winter coat on now how cold is it out there. I do think 2 years waiting for a long term care home is not helping and wonder for someone who hates to lie in bed if all that sitting is part of the issue. He still gets up and shaves himself and dresses himself but getting more wobbly on his feet confined. I sometimes wonder if depression is part of the problem a proper home would be a healthier environment. I am dumbfounded how they can still say he needs lockdown and is exit seeking ever 3 month assessment by ccac I can't help feel he would have a better quality of his remaining life in a proper home. But the wait continues. I do have a caregiver go in ever day she pointed out the swelling last week not the doctor. He is not at the stage yet but fear he will end up in the hall like the rest of the patients with swollen feet and legs strapped into chairs and completely cognitively gone. He is trying to stay strong but mentally listening to their cries out side his door would upset anyone. Will the swelling go down if he continues now to be more sedentary? He is getting less reluctant to walk as he has had two falls in the last few weeks this is new. He does not want to lie in bed during the day he prefers to struggle to remain independent and do things for himself. I am not sure to keep him walking if the swelling doesn't goes down. I am waiting for the doctor to call it might not be today but just looking for answers in the meantime. I rely on the caregiver as it is a very understaffed ward as most of the patients are beyond help. I was also told there was no medication for the esbl that keeps my father in isolation in his room. I was told yesterday he was stable but exrays were ordered last nite.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was told to wait for this last question to be answered?
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 days ago.

He could have a congestive heart failure.