Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I'm guessing cardiology is the best place to ask questions

Customer Question

I'm guessing cardiology is the best place to ask questions regarding my fingers and fingernails due to fact that as far as I know they look this way thanks to smoking and low blood oxygen saturation or not enoug oxygen rich blood reaching my extremities i.e.: fingers and nails etc but how bad are my fingers and nails my friend took picture for me
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Since how long are you smoking?

How many cigrattes do you smoke per day?

Apart from nail / nail bed and finger changes, do you have any other symptoms and signs?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Twenty years
And a little less then a pack a day for the first few years eventually a pack a day and then since like ten years ago almost a pack and a half two packs a day but no other symptoms as far as I'm aware maybe a little widened at times but that's it
Can you tell me what symptoms your talking about if any in particular

Do you have shortness of breath when walk fast, run or climb stairs or cough?

The picture you sent of the nails is early clubbing. This sign is an unreliable sign for a definite or a single diagnosis. So a conclusion cannot be drown on just this basis. Clubbing can occur in tens of reasons like:

1) Ulcerative colitis (intestinal disease)

2) Pachydermatoperiostosis (skin disease).

3) Interstitial lung disease.

4) Primary biliary cirrhosis,

5) Cirrhosis of the liver

6) Thyroid diseases.

So nail changes are not reliable or conclusive signs. In the absence of symptoms, I would not be worried despite the nail changes. Though with your long smoking history just for caution, you may get the following investigations for the screening;

a) Chest x-ray.

b) Lung function test.

c) Echocardiography.

These are just for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is probably wishful thinking but can and or will the thickening if my fingers as can be seen in pictures eventually Change,? I ask this cause I know men way older then me who have pretty advanced emphysema and they're fingers don't look fat and sausage like like mine , they definitely have the curvature bird beak curvature to they're nails but they're fingers aren't as far looking as mine seem in picture there has to be an explanation as to why a guy who smokes way more then me for way longer somehow has better looking fingers neverMind lungs, his are probably super blackened which mine will eventually be too

Nails are not mimic of lungs or general body condition. So you need not to worry. These small issues have multiple factors like genetics, own body's physiology, body reserves, environment, psychological affection, nutrition etc which play role. Thus there would be people who would have far worse nails and nail beds despite not smoking or less smoking. So please do not just correlate it with the smoking or worsening of your body organs.

It is privilege assisting you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/