Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I was hospitizilzed for Acute resp failure and was

Customer Question

I was hospitizilzed for Acute resp failure and was mistakenly given Albuterol which I had a past reaction to of arterial fibrillation. I then went into art fib. Then given DiltiaZEM Tabs (90 meg) and told to take only only when the Syst BP was below 100. Instructions are fuzzy. Can you clear up? Seeing cardiologist next wk and was to be knowlegeable before going.
JA: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?
Customer: There is fluctuation in BP and dont want any more of this. It was scary. I'm 82 with COPD, Arthritis and other problems
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I let him know all, including lupus, IBS,many env. allergies...
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “Diltiazem related instructions” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Please see medications like diltiazem can lower the blood pressure

It belongs to the group of medications called as calcium channel blocker, it can help with arrhythmias of the heart, but as mentioned above it can lower the blood pressure too

I guess your dr asked you to take this med only if your systolic BP is above 100

This is the instruction normally given

Patients are asked not to take this med when the blood pressure is on the lower side, for example around systolic bp of 100 or so

If your question is whether to take it when the blood pressure is below 100 Versus whether to skip the dose when the blood pressure is below 100, the answer is when the blood pressure is below 100 it is safer to skip the dose, for the reasons discussed above.

I hope I have answered your question, if this was not your question or if you have any further questions, or want to discuss this further please follow up with me again. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

Hi, Please go through the above answer when your time permits and please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this health situation further. Please do not forget to click a positive rating for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too and I will be very glad to continue helping you as long as you need my services.

Best regards!

Customer/p>