Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

My mother is 90 years old and is treated at a hospital for a

Customer Question

My mother is 90 years old and is treated at a hospital for a UTI infection. She also has a bad cold with cough. She is given IV antibiotics once every 24 hours.
She has an irregular heartbeat and for that she is taking carveliol and a baby aspirin. I am very suspicious of increasing the dose to over 300 mg of aspirin and kumedin on top of it to prevent a bloodcloth. We can try to walk her (she is ambulatory) in the hallway to get her from lying still in bed all the time. Is it not better to continue her meds given to her before, - baby aspirin?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 23 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear of your mother's health issues.

I would agree, that here are other ways to help prevent blood clots other than coumadin. First continue to walk her as often as possible. Next request support stockings to help increase circulation in her legs. Next request that Low Molecular Heparin is given through her IV. This has much less chance of causing a bleed and will be very beneficial in reducing the incident of her developing a blood clot. The baby aspirin 81 mg, is sufficient, she does not need to increase this, especially at her age. Also continue the Carvedilol at her current dose.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your mother's medical problem(s) are resolved soon and she feels better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 22 days ago.

How is your mother today?