dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Iam a medical specilaist and now doing training in Cardiology and have more then ten years experience in respective field.
16766337

An associate of my regular cardiologist has prescribed

Customer Question

An associate of my regular cardiologist has prescribed atorvastatin 40mg, even though my colesterol levels are normal. I had a stent in my LDA in may, and my regular cardiologist has me on Brilinta 90 mg 2xday. I am not sure about getting this prescription filled before my cardiologist returns from vacation. Is this a normal prescription for my circumstances?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Brilinta, synthroid and allopurinol, plus vitamin supplements
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not related to heart.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: My family has no history of heart disease. Since my stent in May, my health is good.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I amCustomerWelcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  dr abid replied 1 month ago.

As you have had stent in LAD , and even you have normal Cholesterol levels , but as per guidelines still you need to be on Statins and Atorvastatin belong to this group of drug .

This is because of the fact that statins in addition to reducing Cholesterol can have Antinflammatory effect and stabalizes the Plaque in arteries , this is called Pleotropic property of statins .

And this was proved in one of the great trial called JUPITER trial , so you must be on Atorvastain please .

Good luck .

Please rate my answer as excellent service , so that I may get credit of my time :)

Thanks .