Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

Severe burning searing pain in upper left stomach and in

Customer Question

Severe burning searing pain in upper left stomach and in upper left chest very painful! Have had this over 8 years at times it flares and bothers me n hurts extremely bad I've been to ER while hurting and had tests done for heart all negative I've also had every heart test done 3 years ago even a Cath all came back negative Drs tell me it's not my heart but I just can't seem to believe it and not get wound up and anxiety that it's my heart the pain is so bad at times what is going on??
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Have you ever had upper endoscopy test?

Are you taking any medications now?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I take meds for high blood pressure. And nexium pain in the upper chest hurts worse when tensing up and twisting better when lying down and the stomach pain seems gastric but this hurts so bad and I seem to go into an anxiety attach and all kinds of stuff happens I've been to ER probably over 20 times this year already with it and just as many times in past years??
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having severe burning pain in upper left stomach and in upper left chest since last 8 years that get flare at times is most likely due to a condition called GERD(gastro esophageal reflux disease).It is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.Also there can be associated gastritis.

You have had every heart test done 3 years ago and all came back negative.So heart disease is ruled out.

Please do not get worry or get anxious.This is not due to any heart disease and you have already visited the ER more then 20 times this year.

To get relief ,take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.

Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Both these are available as over the counter (OTC)without a prescription & will help you greatly. Also you may need to be prescribed with anti anxiety medications.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor for tests like upper endoscopy & H.pylori testing and prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatments.

Thank you.Hope this helped.Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me Kind Regards

Dr.Josh
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I get so worked up cause the pain is incredible at times and I'm always in rural areas scared I won't be able to get help and the pain is always in the same area which I guess is a good sign
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It also makes you feel almost short of breathe but just on that side
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

I can understand that when ever one had a pain in chest,the "heart disease" comes first in mind & getting scared/worry is normal.

But believe me,all your symptoms directs towards the condition of gastric reflux.None of your symptom is of heart disease.

For your information,following are the symptoms of heart disease/angina:

-Pain and discomfort in your chest. This pain can feel dull, heavy, tight or severe.
-Pain and discomfort that may spread to your jaw, neck, arms, back or stomach.
-Lightheadedness
-Weakness
-Dizziness
-Palpitations, sweating, feeling sick or shortness of breath along with above symptoms
-An angina pain does not usually last long. It will usually ease within 10 minutes when you rest.
-Tingling/numbness in arm.

None of your symptoms directs towards heart disease/angina/heart attack.

So please stop worrying.Your worry may further aggravate the symptoms.I advise you to make an appointment with your gastro doctor for upper endoscopy & other tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

And please do not forget to leave positive rating.Bonus given are highly appreciated.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

Please see this picture & I am hopeful that this will help you in better understanding.

If you are done,then please leave a positive rating for my answer above the chat box.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going How is your symptoms of burning pain in upper left stomach and in upper left chest ?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you if you have any follow up question.Your question is still open.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Please do not forget to leave positive rating.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh