Mohammad Ashori
Mohammad Ashori,
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician at Kaiser Permanente

A. During a coronary stent procedure, while viewing the

Customer Question

a. During a coronary stent procedure, while viewing the artery on the fluoroscopy monitor
for correct insertion and placement, would the monitor show a piece of plaque breaking
away or detaching from the artery wall?
b. Are there other ways, that the Interventional Cardiologist preforming this procedure, could
use to observe and confirm that it was plaque breaking off the artery wall causing the
blockage of my heart and not something else?
c. What would lead a physician to conclude that the blockage of my upper left chamber of my
heart was due to plaque breakage and not something different?
d. Would a "shard" of delaminated PTFE, the external coating on a coronary guide wire,
appear on a fluoroscopy monitor?
Thank you for your help.
***** *****
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 3 days ago.

Hi Dr. Ashori here.

No, you wouldn't be able to see a loose piece of plaque on the monitor.

If the cardiologist sees that distant from the area of injection of the dye there is a sudden blockage that wasn't there before then nothing else but a piece of plaque could cause that.

Usually they would lean towards a plaque if the vessel wall is blocked in a very small area as opposed to a slightly large amount as would be seen with thickened lumina.

No, the coating of the wire wouldn't show but if a shard broke off then yes, it would show, since the underside of the lining has contrast material in it.

May I ask what the reason for your concern is?

Are you worried about the coating breaking off the stent or that the stent was placed faulty?

Usually the operation report would have the details as to why the cardiologist thought it was a rogue plaque vs other cause.