Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology

I am 5 weeks postpartum and I am feeling dizzy, off balance,

Hello I am 5 weeks postpartum and I am feeling dizzy, off balance, have had vertigo spells, very nauseous, and when I get up from sitting to standing my heart will go from 90 to 140 bpm. My blood pressure was found to be 100/58 today. I feel awful. I can hardly eat and hardly sleep. I had bloodworkthey just found slight anemia, and i have had normal ct scans and xray of the chest. What is wrong with me do you think?? I had an MRI ten years ago and they found a small pituitary tumor but it wasn't causing any issues at that time

Thank you for your question, this can be postpartum cardiomyopathy, in this case there is low blood pressure which cases vertigo and dizziness, echocardiogram is the single best test that can help to diagnose this problem. If echo is normal then your doctor might consider a repeat MRI scan to look at the pituitary tumor. Thank you.

Yes it can be POTS, but before we label POTS we have to exclude a cardiac cause and this can be done by echocardiogram. Thank you.