Dr SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

I have a tortured esophagus and sometimes get strictures

Customer Question

Hi. I have a tortured esophagus and sometimes get strictures that I have treated by dilatation. Im just wondering if esophageal spasms can cause heart palpitations. Lately I feel like my heart is beating real fast then going back to normal...
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: We do have a hx of heart disease. Im 54. I have always cked out healthy in the heart area but its been a while. I have been extremely stressed out..its just uncomfortable because I can't tell the difference between a spasm and heart palpitations
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I think thats all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 month ago.

Yes esophageal spasms can mimic heart disease and can lead to heart palpitations at times, but having said that I would still like that you should have an ECG done at the very least to be sure there is nothing wrong with the heart.

Another better test is the holter monitor test which monitors your heart rate and rhythm for a longer period of time.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards