Dr SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

I previously owned an ultrasound machine which I used to

Customer Question

I previously owned an ultrasound machine which I used to monitor a tumor that was in my kidney. After five years of use I broke it completely. I need an ultra sound machine again to monitor certain things in the heart and the arteries in myself and my mother who just had a heart attack. A friend who is a technician will help. The issue I have is whether I should get a similar one like I had or a machine that has color Doppler. Is Doppler UI is about $6000 not even counting the phase probe is compared to the regular Black and white ultrasound that is about 1500 these days.
Sregular portable ultrasound is about 1500. I'm not even sure if that includes phase probe. So my question is can I view most of the things I need to view with the regular ultrasound machine or is the Doppler ultrasound highly necessary.?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 month ago.

If you would like to have a look at a tumor only a doppler ultrasound is not necessary.

So a simple ultrasound without doppler should be fine.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I referred to an older non-Doppler machine for kidney tumor I used to have. Now I need to look at my heart my mother's heart and I'm asking him a regular ultrasound machine will do or is a Doppler machine imperative when viewing the heart and the carotid artery's and blockages
Expert:  Dr SH replied 1 month ago.

For viewing the heart and arteries the normal ultrasound machine would be okay.