Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physician with cardiology experience

I have a question about my atenolol. My blood pressure has

Customer Question

I have a question about my atenolol. My blood pressure has been out of sorts for a while now teetering between prehypertension and stage 1. So I went to the doctor because I needed to get it taken care of and for the last year plus some my feet and ankles swell by the end of the day. So she ran tests and everything was normal. So she did put me on atenolol 25 mg daily for my BP. It has been great, my pulse rate has gone from 108 (resting) to 78. My bp has gone from 145/92 to 118/75. It helped with the swelling in the beginning too. Now the swelling is back. I sit at a desk all day. When I am home on the weekends usually I can alternate my sitting and resting so I have no swelling/or it is minimal (unless I am sitting/riding in a car all day or something). I can prop my feet up and it relieves it. When I wake up in the morning my ankles are not swollen, they were a little this am (but just a tiny bit). I am overweight by about 115-120 pounds so I know that is part of the issue. Should I ask my MD to increase the dose?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to work on regular exercise which can help your blood pressure and help your weight and help with swelling in your legs

you have to avoid salt in your diet as well

are you able to walk for exercise daily?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I started this morning. Walked for 30 minutes. I cut out soda today too which I'm sure has alot to do with the swelling.

soda is very bad for you

the high fructose corn syrup there, 1% of those calories gets stored as fat around your liver leading to fatty liver.

diet soda tricks your brain and causes you to eat more calories.

that is good you started to walk today

keep up the walking

make sure you take deep breaths when you walk and swing your arms and work up a sweat.

over time, this improves your circulation, builds muscle, burns fat, increases your metabolism, fights depression, helps you sleep better.

as you loose weight, your blood pressure will improve and if you loose enough weight, you may come off your blood pressure medications.

eat healthy and frequent meals which is fine

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using