Dr SH
Dr SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had CABG about four months ago. I am on beta blocker and

Customer Question

I had CABG about four months ago. I am on beta blocker and baby asprin. I am going through rehabilitation program three times a week. The program consists of treadmill and cross trainer sessions. The therapist gave me a target of pbm of 120-140 which confused me. My question is, am I allowed to work my heart this hard at this stage? Or I am being misguided!!
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr SH replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Yes, actually you are allowed to work your heart rate to 120-140 beats per minute.

This is something that is done very commonly in a cardiac rehabilitation program.

It is a very common misconception to think that exercise or rehabilitation after a CABG is something that is not indicated or cannot be done. But it is something that can certainly be done.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But I am on beta blocker so to reach that target I have be almost running!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have read some where that the graft area did not develop fibrosis at this stage. I am really confused.
Expert:  Dr SH replied 7 months ago.

Hmmm, I do agree, it is tough to reach the target heart rate but you need to continue and try your best to stay as active as possible and exercise as much as you can, depending on your limitations.

Expert:  Dr SH replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please do rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.

Kindest regards