Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

My 14 year old daughter is 269 pounds and 5.8.Ft- she was

Customer Question

my 14 year old daughter is 269 pounds and 5.8.Ft- she was about 240 pounds around Thanksgiving time
She is not very active and prefers staying inside watching tv
But she recently has changed her lifeplan to include outdoors. Bike riding, basketball (shooting hoops only).
We just moved to the Outerbanks 3 weeks ago and she wants to play Volleyball and softball.
We have a family history of diabetes and heart attacks and strokes with Uncles, Grandparents, niece, first cousins. But not my husband or myself our other 5 children
We went to the Urgent Care this weekend for her sports physical so she can play volleyball. She did not pass. Mainly because just touching her toes sped up her breathing, per the doctor. Also her Resting heart rate is 120bpm and her BP is 160/80.I have called to get her to see a primary doctor here since we are new to the area, but I want your expert opinion, based on what I have told you thus far. Could we be dealing with a serious heart issue here? One more thing.. The Doctor stated that her weight may be caused due to a medical issue. I am just concerned about your thoughts on her heart?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Stan, here to help you.
Board Certified with 40 years of Patient Care. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Let me begin by saying that her weight and not her heart is most likely the problem. She will need a complete work up with blood tests for Diabetes and Thyroid Disease. Her systolic blood pressure is a little high, as is her heart rate, but again due to her weight.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

She needs to decrease her salt intake, eat only up to 1600 calories daily, no bread, pizza, or starches. I hope you can get a PCP for her soon. I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Please leave a positive rating of 3-5 stars so I may be credited for my response. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any additional questions?