Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I am going /hypertension consultation today. I want to make

Customer Question

Hello, I am going for anephrology/hypertension consultation today. I want to make sure I ask the right questions. My problem is my blood pressure does not stay stable. I am taking hydrochorithiazide (1/2 of 12.5 mg) and 25 mg of losartan per day. I do not take any other medications. My blood pressure stays around 130/85 unless I have "an episode". When it happens it can shoot up to 170/97 and then bounce around for awhile. When it happens I also get anxious which doesn't help. I have had a stress test with echo, ekg, and my cardiologist said to do moderate exercise at least 30 minutes per day and eat a Mediterranean diet and lose weight. Apparently my diastolic pressure went up during the tread mill test. I have had a story of having MVP but now the protocol has changed so I am told I don't have that.I have had an thyroid ultrasound which came back with nodules but nothing concerning, also had CT scan of abdomens within the last six months for abdominal pain which resulted in nothing but noted benign cysts in the kidneys.I have had to weight a long time to get into this doc and really want to make sure I present my issue correctly. What do you suggest?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

I think what you have presented hear is concise and helpful.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

You should be sure to ask him if he has any concerns about temporary increases in your blood pressure. Normally, this happens with all of us and is normal, depending on circumstances. If infrequent and not too severe, it may not be a problem at all.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

If you suspect you might have an underlying anxiety disorder that is complicating the control of your blood pressure, be sure to ask about this as well, and if a referral to a mental health professional is indicated.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Sometimes, by getting an anxiety disorder under control, blood pressure improves and antihypertensives are not needed. Blood pressures in the 130/85 neighborhood are considered "pre-hypertensive" and may be manageable in other ways. Any possible effects of your blood pressure on kidney function can be tested, measured, and managed along the way.