Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

About 6th rib down on my right side of my chest gets this

Customer Question

About 6th rib down on my right side of my chest gets this sharp pain while running. It's not there when I start running, but as it gets hard. Once I stop running and relax it goes away, the area is tender to touch though. Is this concerning? It's been happening for awhile, but doesn't always happen when I run.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  khagihara replied 8 months ago.

Is it in the area where the rib attaches to the breastbone (sternum)? If so, it is costchondritis which is an inflammation of the cartilage. You don't need to worry about it. Take over-the-counter pain medication if you continue to have pain.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is in the area by the sternum. How can I prevent it from happening?

You should take over-the-counter pain medication before you run. If the pain is not decreased, you should see your doctor to have exam.

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 8 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you, other expert

You should not take over the counter pain killers without knowing the root cause of pain

Costochondritis doesn't restrict to one rib, so I suggest get these 3 tests done

1. Chest X ray

2, ESR to know body inflammation

3. RA factor, ANA to rule out any Rheumatoid and autoimmune cause

I do not suggest pain killers now, as you don't have severe or constant pain

Please go ahead with the test and then the treatment can be planned based on reports/diagnosis

Please leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, the only way we experts are compensated for helping you

Follow up questions can be asked even after the positive rating

You can get back to me any time here, http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

Any bonus is welcome and appreciated

Best Regards

Dr Chaithanya

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's not necessarily one rib, it's the area by the 6th rib. For instance yesterday, during my warm up run it started hurting on my way back when it was getting harder. Then I lifted weights with no pain at all and ran again with no pain at all

Ok, it seems to get hurt only at movement. First thing get an x ray done wthout fail to rule out any pain.

As I mentioned, ESR, RA and ANA [blood tests] to rule out inflammation.

The reports can give the idea what is causing you pain.

If all these reports are normal, and if pain persists, a MRI may be needed to know if there is muscle injury

Hope this helps

Any bonus is welcome and appreciated

Best Regards

Dr Chaithanya

Do you have any questions, please ask

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It just got a little painful and tender to touch without movement. I can't go get tests done for a few weeks. What can I do until then?

Okay, You can use Ibuprofen and paracetemol combination painkiller till then when you get pain. Avoid strenous works and vigorous exercises

Don't forget to leave a positive rating, only then I'm compensated for my time.

Any bonus is appreciated.