Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physician with cardiology experience

I'm a 33yo healthily men and I unfortunately exposed myself

Customer Question

I'm a 33yo healthily men and I unfortunately exposed myself to some carbon-monoxide due to a faulty stove (big yellow flame instead of blue flame) in my RV (so in a pretty small closed space). I have no idea of the actual CO concentration but after 15 minutes I felt a very mild headache and immediately realized the potential danger so I reached for fresh air outside. I didn't get any more severe symptoms as that. 24 hours later I also got an uncommon short-breath sensation but it is maybe not related since the HbCO concentration should have been dropped to a normal level at that point I guess.
So my concern now is about a potential permanent effect on my body due to this CO exposition. In particular, I'm concerned about any permanent damage on my heart (there are some heart related issues running in my family). Some studies indicate that some moderate to severe CO poisoning are likely to induce myocardial injuries ( I know that definitely not into the severe CO poisoning case and rather into a mild poisoning. However I'm not entirely sure since the symptoms seems to depend quite a lot of the individual response.
Anyway, here is my question : do I have to worry for a potential permanent damage on my heart due to my CO exposition? or this is a complete over-reacting though.
Would it be a good idea for me to perform a heart check-up in the next days such as an ECG or a heart markers blood exam (troponin I level)?
Should I limit my physical activities in the next days or weeks?
I would love to have your expert advice,
Thank you very much in advance!!
PS: you can give technical detail, I studies medicine for a couple years
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

that article is for patients treated at a hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy for CO poisoning.

you don't have to worry about permanent damage to your heart due to this exposure

you can always see your doctor and get heart testing like a stress test or cardiac echo to check on your heart

but I bet your heart testing will turn out normal

troponin would show muscle damage from a heart attack. I bet this would not show heart damage.

I bet an EKG would be normal

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

do you have other questions?