Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

Abnormal EKG, diastolic heart murmur. I'm a woman, age 50,

Customer Question

Abnormal EKG, diastolic heart murmur. I'm a woman, age 50, heart failure runs in my family. Echocardiogram coming up in a couple of weeks, just trying to learn about what's going on.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: So-so. I break out in sweats a lot, where it feels like an adrenaline rush. I'm not fat (5'2", 117 lbs).
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cardiologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 3 months ago.

• Abnormal EKG, diastolic murmur and family history are very broad and non-specific issues. They are just basis for further investigations.
  • These issues are typically discovered after you present with "specific symptoms". What are these symptoms ?
  • EKG abnormality could range from minor and insignificant to a serious one. The specifics of the abnormality are important. Just because your EKG has been labeled as "Abnormal", it does not mean, you have a "heart condition". It could turn out to be very normal for you, and of no concern
  • Same goes for the murmur. Diastolic Murmurs are sounds produced by valves that allows blood flow in both directions when it is supposed to allow it in one only. This can range form minimal, to mild to severe. The echo is intended to determine the underlaying valvular abnormality and it's severity. It could be minor and clinically insignificant
  • Family history: not all family history of heart disease is significant. It all depends on what "heart disease" the family member had and what age and how close the relationship is. Grand parents with heart attacks is minor history compared a dad with a heart attack at an early age (like 30 year). That would be the role of your cardiologist to determine the significance

Let me know if you have any furtehr questions. If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Do you have any other questions ?