Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

Quick question -- my mother is 81 and her doctor has

Customer Question

Quick question -- my mother is 81 and her doctor has recently changed some of blood pressure meds. Her pulse was running low -- high 30"s and low 40's. For the past couple of days, it has been running now 95-104 -- fairly consistent. She has a follow up with her cardiologist on Friday. Should she call the doctor now to share her pulse? Is it too high? Or can she wait until Friday. She feels fine but I don't want to over work her heart. I believe a normal rate is between 60-100 but 100 seems high for an 81 person. Thoughts?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 11 months ago.

Hello

If it is staying above 100 have her call her doctor, particularly if this is at rest.

UP to 120 can be normal in some cases.

So, does not appear like an emergency, but if you see any symptoms, it gets faster, etc, take her in.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 11 months ago.

Greetings

• Resting HR "up to 120" IS NEVER NORMAL. Your are correct, the normal rate ranges between 60 to 100 BPM.
  • Yes, you should call her doctor, and do not wait until Friday. He needs to re-adjust her medication. When he made the change to her meds, he could not have predicated this response. He is likely to restart that medication with a lower dose.
  • She will need an EKG to make sure that her heart rhythm is normal

I hope this helps. Best wishes