khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields for many years.

When my son Spencer was 9 years old I spanked m and it left

Customer Question

When my son Spencer was 9 years old I spanked him and it left bruising on his buttocks. This had never happened before and I did not spank him harder than usual. My son has a very fair complexion, and the bruising left distinct hand prints. I believe an external factor was involved.Immediately prior to the spanking my son was taking a bath in very hot water that was up to his belly. I was not responsible for the water being hot. My reasons for spanking him were due to excessive noise he was making in my apartment after repeated warnings. When I pulled him out of the water for the spanking, the skin that had been below the water line was very, very red. I spanked him as I would normally, a few times with an open hand on the bottom, and placed him back in the tub.After his bath I noticed bruises on his bottom in the shape of hand prints, and these bruises did not go away for several days.With your expertise, I hope that you can provide some insight. Could these factors have made his skin more susceptible to bruising? Is it possible that a spanking that would not otherwise cause bruising, could cause bruising under the conditions I've described? If so, how much more likely do you think it would it be for bruising to occur under these conditions?I don't think spanking is effective, and is the wrong approach for me to use with my children, in my opinion, but I don't think it is physically abusive in the sense that I'm being accused of. I'd appreciate your perspective.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  khagihara replied 4 months ago.

Some patients, particularly those who are fair skinned, overweight, and female can develop bruising with minimal trauma, and may not remember being injured. He has fair skinned. You don't need to worry about it very much. Reassured.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, but do you think the heating of the skin and the redness I observed prior to the spanking could increase the likelihood for bruising?

Heat causes the dilation of the blood vessels. It could cause easy bruises.