DrDLove
DrDLove, MD
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
21597572

LDL is 185

Customer Question

LDL is 185
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  DrDLove replied 6 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Could you include the remaining values of the lipid profile?Do you have any chronic medical problems, such as hypertension or diabetes?What is your age and gender?
Expert:  DrDLove replied 6 months ago.
When I did not hear back from you, I found the lipid profile values, age, and gender on another post. Although this LDL is elevated, the fact that your HDL is also very high is protective against the risk associated with this level of LDL. The fact that the total cholesterol is also high contributes to the overall risk determination, but since both HDL and LDL are elevated, there would be no choice but that the total cholesterol would also be elevated. Similarly, any interventions that lower the LDL will also lower the total cholesterol. At these values, it is not currently recommended to treat these cholesterol values with medicines. It is appropriate to follow healthy lifestyle habits, including eating a healthy diet and getting regular aerobic exercise, but there is no need to consider any further interventions based solely on these lab values. These interventions may lower the LDL and total cholesterol, but there does not need to be medicines to lower the LDL and total cholesterol if these values are the only consideration. The only other consideration would be whether there are other conditions that increase the risk for heart disease, such as hypertension or diabetes or if you smoke. If any are present, then a determination of risk level would also be used to determine whether treatment of the cholesterol is indicated. However, if you otherwise have no risk factors for heart disease, the current recommendations are that treatment of these cholesterol values is not indicated. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Expert:  DrDLove replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/