Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

Trying to stop atenolol and cannot tell if I am having rebound

Customer Question

Trying to stop atenolol and cannot tell if I am having rebound symptoms only taking quarter of ,25
JA: OK. The Cardiologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Cardiologist can help you best.
Customer: Went from .25 to .12 to .6 of atenolol head hurts heart rate is 80 took last dose 24 hours ago
JA: I'm sure it's really worrying even thinking you might have a heart condition. I think our Expert will put your mind at ease and tell you what you need to do next to make sure nothing bad happens. Is there anything else the Cardiologist should be aware of?
Customer: It's the anxiety and rumbling heart.i know that I do not have a heart condition from tests. I just want off the atenolol
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cardiologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.
GreetingsThis is very unlikely to be rebound. Atenolol 25 daily to start with is not a high dose and can be weaned off quickly.This phenomena is rare in this range of BB dose, in some one who has no heart conditions You heart rate is 80 BPM is within normal limits and not in the range you see with rebound.You have no symptoms that can be attributed to your heart and you have no heart condition. So, this is against reboundWhat is your current BP? Are you able to measure it where you are at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By current blood pressure is high because I am nervous about feeling bad physically. So you think that my rumbling heart is not caused by the cessation of Atenolol 24 hours ago?
NO, I don't think soWhat is your BP exactly ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
150/85
That is not bad at all. Not critical and well explained by your anxiety and concerns. You are not giving me any indication of a rebound phenomena at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it's just my mind being anxious you think which causes symptoms?
May I ask why are you weaning your self off Atenolol? Is that your doctor's recommendation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It caused insomnia, lethargy and general feeling of not feeling well so he said to try amoldopine
I see. That is possible. Clearly you display symptoms of anxiety but no indication of rebound. I would not worry.
If this satisfies your question, please complete the stars rating above. This is how we get credit for the service. You may still email me with question on this issue after the rating. Best wishes
Hello .. just checking to see how things are. I hope you are okay !!