Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

My father had an angioplasty (radial) on wednesday..

Customer Question

Hi... My father had an angioplasty (radial) on wednesday.. Responded well.. Sent home thursday.. BP have been normal since then, even recording a 113/76 yesterday... Earlier today he recorded a 145, later a 165 , about an hour ago 174.. He took his Brilanta at 8p, took BP AT 830p and was 161... I dont want him to go to bed like that.. Im concerned about new blockage due to the stent. He is not having a headache, nor angina.. Do I take him back to the ER? The other meds he is taking since the procedure, Losartan, famotidine, lipitor and baby aspirin, (Brilanta teice a day every 12hrs)
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I understand your concerns. The blood pressure may fluctuate after angioplasty. Even brilinta can cause high BP as side effect. Although high, it is not that concerning. He does not have any other symptoms suggesting another blockage. However if this BP persists even tomorrow, you will need to contact his doctor to adjust his BP medication. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 5 months ago.
GreetingsI am a board-certified interventional cardiologist with over 20 years experienceThere is no indication of a problem with stent. New blockages will not develop in few days. BP will not have immediate impact on the stent status. BP is elevated but not critical. This is most likely aggravated by the recent stent and the anxiety/concerns, given the recent stenting procedure. HE needs to relax and check his BP in 20-30 minutesIf further elevated, you may contact his doctor at this time using the contact number provided to you upon discharge. He or whoever is covering will adjust his meds tonightNo need for ER at his point
Let me know if you need any further clarifications. If this satisfies your question, please complete the stars rating above. This is how we can get credit for our service. You may still email me with questions on this topic after the rating. My best wishes